[ CHAPTER FIFTEEN ]

Start from the beginning

But, at least Sam had been nice enough to let her sit shotgun.

Shaking the thought off, Lux frowned. The sign that had once welcomed visitors into their little town was now saying goodbye, fading into the distance.

It was a daunting thought, but somewhere in her gut, Lux knew she'd never see the little town she'd grown to love again.

She'd probably never see any of her friends again, maybe she'd see Jo again, although it was highly unlikely.

She had to cut ties with the town, for the safety of her daughter, for the safety of her town, and the safety of herself. It was in everyone's best interest that she left.

As they drove away from the town she had once called home, Lux had no doubt the vibrant sunrays were gleaming off the Impala's impeccable paintwork.

Lux had to admit, the moment of her leaving her town would have been a lot more emotional if a good old sad song came on, like it did in the movies. She almost snorted aloud at the thought.

Turning to face Dean, who was loosely gripping the leather steering wheel, his fingers brushing against the side gently, she cleared her throat. "Have you got any CD's?" Lux asked as Dean nodded.

"In the glove compartment." Dean responded simply.

Nodding, she popped open the compartment, her eyes instantly landing on the medium sized box that contained... Cassette tapes? Really, Dean?

Shaking her head in amusement, she pulled the box out, consciously wondering what century Dean was living in.

Glancing briefly towards the blonde, Dean's eyes caught her amused smile before his gaze returned to the road.

"What?" He asked.

Grinning, Lux tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear as she ran her fingers across the ratted label of the cassette tapes. "Cassette tapes, really?"

Sam piped up from the back, nodding in agreement. "I've been telling him this for ages, trust me. I once gave the Impala an iPod jack and he freaked out." Sam snorted, liking the small smile that had spread across Lux's lips.

It was nice to see her smile, especially after everything that had happened. Dean rolled his eyes, rubbing the steering wheel affectionately. 

"Dude, I said you could have the car, not douche her up." Dean snapped, shaking his head as he murmured a string of curses under his breath.

Chuckling, Lux began to scan through the cassette tapes, internally deciding that replacing the cassette player with an MP3 player would spoil the character of the Impala.

As she leaned forward to close the glove compartment, her eyes landed on a rumpled photograph.

Raising a brow, Lux's curiosity got the better of her as she gently plucked the old photo from the compartment and held it between her nimble fingers.

The picture seemed to be quite old, the edges brimming with yellow, and the photograph's colour now faded.

In the picture was a pretty blonde woman, her arm around a small boy with dusty blonde hair, big green eyes, and a cheeky grin. Dean.

This was Mary, his mother who had died when Dean was four, while Sam was 6 months old. 

As her fingers brushed against the photo, she didn't notice Dean's gaze lingering on her and the photo as she respectfully placed the photo back in the compartment.

Turning to Dean, she shook the Cassette tape box. "Which one?"

Dean smirked. "Surprise me."

Lux nodded, scanning the tapes as her fingers brushed against the tattered labels of the clearly overused cassette tapes.

She pulled each tape out and looked intently at the options before her.

Dean sure had one hell of a tape collection. It contained all the classics, and some of Lux's favourite artists. Finally deciding on the tape, she gently plucked the tape from the box and placed it on her lap.

As she put the cassette tape box back into the glove compartment, she didn't notice Sam's curious, yet confused glance.

The younger brother was surprised Dean had let Lux choose the music, after all, driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Grinning, Lux turned back to Dean, placing the tape in his outstretched palm.

Adjusting his grip on the steering wheel, Dean glanced down, raising a surprised brow at her pick. "Lynyrd Skynyrd - All Time Greatest Hits. Really?" Dean questioned.

Playfully scoffing, Lux shook her head. "What? There's nothing wrong with a bit of Lynyrd Skynyrd! I mean they're like the most popular Southern rock band of the past century. 'Sweet Home Alabama', 'Gimme Back My Bullets','Simple Man'."

Dean snorted, shaking his head before popping the cassette tape in. "Nothing. Just surprised is all. I mean, these guys are freakin' classics, and you're what- nineteen?"

"Twenty-one." Lux corrected softly.

As the first track of the cassette tape came on, Dean shrugs. "Thought someone your age would be more into someone like Justin Bieber." Dean teased.

Her face dropped as her lips curled into a disgusted frown. "Bieber? Bleh!"

Sam snorted at this. Dean smirked, taking a moment to look at Lux who was humming along to the song, tapping her fingers against the Impala's dashboard. Leaning forward, Dean switched the track over.

"Hey!" Lux protested as Dean held his index finger up, signalling her to wait. When the familiar build up to 'Simple Man' came on, Lux smiled.

Leaning back against the Impala's seat, Lux began to rock her head to the beat. "Mama told me when I was young, come sit beside me, my only son." Lux sung along softly. She wasn't a very good singer, her voice was scratchy, but she was somehow soothing.

Turning to Dean, she nudged him. "Sing along!"

He rolled his eyes. "I don't sing, sweetheart."

Sam laughed at this, leaning forward. "Yes, you do."

Scowling, Dean said nothing as Sam began to sing along with Lux. "It will help you some sunny day, take your time... don't live too fast. Troubles will come, and they will pass."

Glancing between the two, Dean caved. "Go find a woman and you'll find love, and don't forget son, there is someone up above." Dean sung.

Lux smiled. He was actually a good singer, something which surprised her. Grinning, Dean's eyes caught a diner sign that was a few miles away. He could have done with some food, and Lux could too.

Although Lux was now eating, her appetite was small.

Glancing at Lux, Dean nudged her gently. "Hey, you want to get some food?"

Before she could reply, Sam leaned forward, cutting Lux off. "I could do with some food. I'm starving back here-" Sam was cut off by Dean.

"I wasn't asking you."

Sam rolled his eyes playfully as Lux hid a smile, nodding. "I could go for some food. It seems the baby is craving some greasy, unhealthy fast food." She snorted.

Dean grinned. "Thata' girl."