Chapter 5

Anthony's POV:

"Dude, any opera cakes left?" Jonathan hollered as he stood by the counter waving an order list in his hand.

"Sorry, they're out." Hearing that, he immediately dashed to the customer to recommend her something else. That's our last customer for today. I can't wait to get home soon. 

"Take care!"Joanne chirps as the lady took her box of mille-feuille, exiting the shop satisfied. Finally.

"Okay. We're done for today. Thanks guys." After they left, I locked up the glass doors before making my way home. I wonder what mum made for dinner...I'm famished.

"I'm back m - Brandon?" I paused mid-way as I stared at the person in front of me. Glancing at me for a shot moment, he quickly turned away before walking off like I'm invisible.

Why is he here?

"Mum?"

"In the kitchen honey!" Throwing off my shoes and coat, I skidded off to the kitchen to see mum stirring away in her apron.

"Hi dear, how was work?"

"As usual...why is he here?" I asked slowly monotonously, hoping not to sound rude.

"Dear, he's still your brother no matter what."

"He is not my brother. Not ever since that time."

"Sigh...go and change. Dinner will be done soon." As soon as I stepped out of the kitchen, he bumped my shoulder roughly before walking in nonchalantly. Urgh...I hate him.

"Brandon, don't be so rude to your brother.  At least talk to him." He ignores her words, rolling his eyes in annoyance as he opened a can of beer. Gross.

How can she forgive him? He's the one who killed our dad and acts like its not his fucking fault.

~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡

"Dinner's ready!" Mum called as I pulled up my batman shorts, leaving my shirt off.

"Coming!"

*Can you blow my whistle baby, whistle baby. Let me know. Girl I'm gonna show you how to do it, and we start real slow. You just put your lips together, and you come real close. Can you blow my whistle baby, whistle baby-*

Urgh...Josh...I swear I'm never lending him my phone again.

"Hello?"

"Boss? Jonathan here."

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry to give you such sudden notice but...can me and Joanne have a day off tomorrow? It's our 5th year together and I want to celebrate it with her..." Tomorrow...Monday? But that's the busiest day of the week. Normally we are short of worker and now...but they never took a leave off for nothing till now...fine. I'll find a solution somehow.

"Sure. Go and enjoy yourselves. "

"Really? Will you be able to manage your own?"

"Yup. I'm the boss remember? So don't worry.  Just go and enjoy. Have fun."

"Thanks boss. We owe you one. Bye."

"Goodbye. " Hanging up, my shoulders felt heavy. Where am I going to find helpers in such a short time? Should I just close the cafe tomorrow? This is so sudden, I can't even think right.

"Here you go, Dear. Mac and cheese, you're favourite. " Even my appetite is gone. Urgh...what should I do? What should I do?

"Anthony, why aren't you eating? Does it smell bad? It smells normal to me though..." Mum questions worriedly as she took a sniff off her portion.

"No mum, its not the food. I just don't have any appetite for now." Mum peered at me with concern, causing him to snort out loud in disgust. Picking up his plate, he walked over to the sofa without saying anything. What's wrong with him?

"Ignore him. So what's the problem? Is it related to your cafe?" Bullseye. Is she a mind reader?

"No, I'm not a mind reader.  I'm your mother. So I have a rough gauge on what your worries may be. So what happened?"

"Both J took the day off and I have no idea who to hire. It's also too last minute to find for replacement... Tomorrow is also the busiest day so it is impossible for me and Josh to handle the crowd ourselves. So I thought of closing the cafe tomorrow but I will lose quite a sum of profit... I'm lost. I have no idea what to do..." She pondered for a moment before an idea flashed in her.

"Brandon can help you. He has nothing to do currently. He can help you tomorrow. " Upon hearing his name, he shot me a dirty glare. Why me? I'm not the one who suggested it.

"Him?"

"Yes. Him. He wouldn't mind. Right Brandon?" Mum smiled sweetly at him causing him to roll his eyes again. How does he eyeballs not drop out from all the rolling?

"Whatever." He snapped rudely before walking back to his room, leaving his dirty plates behind. Such inconsideration. Did he expect mum to wash them for him?

"He'll be there. Don't worry." Mum patted my shoulder lightly before picking up the dishes and disappearing into the kitchen, leaving me all alone at the dining table.

"Why are you being so normal to him mum? He killed your husband!" Sighing, she placed the dishes down in the sink as she turned back to face me.

"Its not his fault love-"

"Not his fault? If its not for him, if he didn't stupidly join that mafia gang and couldn't get out, dad wouldn't have died trying to save him! He would still be here, alive! Even after dad lost his life to save his from the shitty gang, he did not even show any remorse or guilt and just moved out to live by himself! How can you call that not his fault? He made you loss your husband, my dad!" Releasing all my bottled up anger at Mum, she just sighed deeply before patting my shoulder lightly.

"Its over already love. We have to move on. We can't change the fact that my husband, your dad, which we love so dearly is already dead. Just know that though he is dead, he still lives within us, in our heart." Saying it softly, she exited the kitchen quietly, letting me calm my nerves.

I can calm down now without seeing his face but I'm not sure about tomorrow. Let's just hope that nothing bad happens tomorrow. Oh god, please bless me. Help me go through tomorrow smoothly. Don't let me die. I'm still too young.