Chapter 5 ~ How did you do that?

The doctor stood up and started pacing back and forth as he tried to conquer up a plan. I watched him anxiously and waited, cause I sure as hell didn't have one. We were stuck in a storage unit with one way out and if we left,  we would be surrounded by angry robots. Maybe they would give up after awhile?

If I remembered what the one I saw earlier looked like correctly, they were scary looking too. They almost looked like huge spiders. They walked on four skinny legs, but they were about knee high.

After a few seconds that felt like hours as the strange robots banged on the door, the doctor stopped walking and I could tell by his face that he had an idea.

"What is it?" I said sitting upright. "What's the plan?"

"Try to put on as many of your great grandmother's... does she have a name?" The doctor said, kneeling down next to me on the floor.

"Um, Genevieve." I answered. "She went by Genny with a G."

"Okay, that's much easier than saying your great grandmother." The doctor said. "Put on as much stuff that belonged to Genny as you can."

It didn't sound like the best thing to be doing right now, but I didn't know what else to do so I obeyed. The doctor seemed to know more than me anyway. I dug through the boxes even though most of the contents weren't wearable items. I slipped on the locket even though something about it made me uneasy still, as well as a fancy hat and coat.

"Okay." I said to the doctor. "This is all I could find."

"Alright. I think that should do." The doctor said, standing and helping me up.

"Are you trying to disguise me?" I asked, confused. "Cause I don't think this'll work. I still look like the same person."

"It's not really meant to disguise you." The doctor began to explain. "It's just meant to throw them off. You're not wearing your own clothes, they smell different and everything. It should confuse them long enough for us to escape... I hope."

"You hope?" I said unconvinced. I was starting to panic at this point. I was about to die with this crazy stranger while wearing my great grandmother's old clothes and I didn't even know his name.

The doctor put two steady hands on my shoulders and looked down at me.

"I know it's not the most reassuring plan in the world, but it's the only one we've got and we need to act fast." The doctor said. "I won't let anything happen to you, just trust me."

I looked up at his eyes and he seemed so sincere that I had to trust him, or at least try to.

"What about you, though?" I said. "You don't have anything to disguise you."

"Oh, I'll be fine." The doctor insisted.

"But the robots...they're probably after you, not me. You're the one with the magic teleporting box and everything." I said taking my hat off and trying to hand it to him.

He put it back on me and shook his head.

"No, Emily. I think they're after you." He said carefully.

"What? Why would they be after me? I haven't done anything. I'm just a college student." I sputtered. It didn't make any sense.

"I don't know." The doctor said and I couldn't decide if I believed him or not, probably because the way he said it sounded like he wanted to give me an explanation so bad, but couldn't.

There was a series of bangs on the door again, this time louder. There was definitely more than one robot.

"Alright let's just get out of this place." I said, taking a deep breath and readying myself.

"Okay." The doctor nodded. "When we get out there, try to pretend like you haven't seen them before. You're Genny now."

I nodded as we approached the exit and went outside. We were surrounded by what looked like about 50 scary spider robots.

"What are those things?" I asked turning to doctor, trying to play dumb. I didn't have to make my voice sound panicked, it already was.

They all stopped and stared at us and one moved closer, probably to try and figure out who I was.

"Genny, run!" The doctor shouted and he didn't have to tell me twice.

We ran towards the road but the robots only hesitated for a moment before chasing after us. We turned onto the street but the robots weren't far behind us and I didn't think we could make it all the way to the TARDIS. They were machines, we were humans that could get tired and worn down.

I looked back at the doctor and I could tell he didn't know what to do. At one point I had either grabbed his hand or he had grabbed mine. I didn't remember it happening but my hand was latched in his.

If only the TARDIS could come to us. There had to be some way for him to control it. I was about to ask him when I heard that ugly but somehow lovable noise. The TARDIS was materializing about ten feet in front of us. It was like it had read my mind.

The doctor and I looked at each other and he seemed just as shocked as I was, but we weren't a bit reluctant as we ran towards the safety of  the peculiar space ship.

Once we got to the box we practically leaped inside and I could see the robots as the doctor quickly closed the doors behind him. We had made it just in time.

I took off my great grandmother's heavy coat, panting like crazy as the doctor ran to the console and hit a bunch of things. The robots were already banging on the door from outside as the TARDIS began to teleport away. Once we were far from the robots that were chasing us, the doctor and I turned to each other at the same time.

"How did you do that?!" We said in unison.

I'm on a writing spree and it's great.

-Sarah