1. Prestigious Party

How had I been talked into this? Who in their right minds would do this? This was a suicide mission if I ever heard one.

I was willingly walking into my enemy's house.

We were walking up an exclusive driveway in the outskirts of town. Jozie looking handsome as ever and me looking fabulous as hell. Literally, been there, I would know.

I was wearing a gorgeous fitting sleeveless black dress. The top had a slight corsage at my chest and the bottom part wrapped elegantly around my legs when I walked. Maybe having a best friend with deep connections in the rich world wasn't all that bad.

Here, in my hometown, it was the outskirts that was the most fashionable and luxurious, not the center. The land was surrounded by a rich blue sheet of water from which you could barely see the horizon of the other land across.

This particular House, the Kingsley House, wasn't the simple, elegant type of manors. More like a castle covered in gold. Literally. That was the particularity of being a Kingsley, most of them could turn anything they touch into pure gold and they didn't mind shoving it into other people's faces, trust me.

Luckily for me, the Immortality gene wasn't one passed down in their line. That was all sorts of relief. Had it not been the case, there was no way that I would step foot near their territory.

I had my arm wrapped around Jozie's as we made our entrance into the famous castle, the luxury was overwhelming, making me want to hurl my guts out. The walls were intricately woven with thin strips of gold, creating sometimes flowers, sometimes birds. Had I not hated Prestiges with all of my might, I might have been impressed.

We reached one of the doormen where he asked for our names. He was quite handsome in his nice tailored suit spoiled by the fine intricate art of gold woven throughout his jacket. Very light eyes, smooth tanned skin, not ugly to look at.

'' Kyle Montgomery.''

There was no way that I could tell my name, they would know immediately who and what I was. I had suffered enough injuries these past few days, I decided against trying to piss off one of the Prestigious Houses.

'' Sammy Winchester.'' I answered with a flirty smile. I sensed Jozie tense up under my hand and the doorman creased his eyebrows.

'' She's with me.'' he immediately threw out, pulling me closer to him. I had to refrain myself from smirking by firmly pressing my lips together.

After a few glances at Jozie, he let us through his shoulders a little tense. '' May you have a great night.''

I winked at him, '' If not, I could always join you later and we can have a little party of our own.'' I whispered in his ear, seeing definite goosebumps where my breath tickled his skin.

Jozie pulled me back firmly towards him with a disapproval stretched all over his face. '' Could you please behave for one night? I actually need you here...''

Right, behave. Well this was going to be hard. But I nodded with the most serious look I could muster up. I was doing this for him so let's not get into trouble.

The huge wooden double doors opened in front of us, revealing a large ballroom filled with...

Prestiges.

I had to hold in a shudder by reminding myself that this was for Jozie, I was doing this for him. Good thing because these people would've eaten him up in one bite had I not been there.

We were immediately greeted with disgusted looks, chins raised high and soft conversations all around. No smiling, no laughing, simply discussing. This was going to be no fun at all.

We headed to the bar, this time without any contact, I mean his new girlfriend could be anywhere. His shoulders were extremely tense, his lips dry, fingers twitching. This was bad.

I laid a comforting hand on his arm, '' Hey, it'll be fine. Don't worry about it, they'll love you.''

He gave me a tight smile in response but kept his head down.

I wasn't too sure if they actually knew how to love. The only thing they seem to value was their money and reputation.

I took a quick look around searching for his mean little new lover. Maybe getting this over with would be best, for both of us that is. If they ever were to find out who I was...

I scanned a gaze across the room but my eyes were caught up by a very tall man, broad shoulders yet semi-slim build. His back was to me but oh what a backside. The Armani suit he wore fit him perfectly, accentuating the definition of his back muscles. Maybe the party could be a little bit of fun.

I leaned back against the bar and scanned him all over and I mean all over. His hair was dark as night, neatly and perfectly in place and he was having a discussion with several other men. I took a quick glance at them but had to draw my eyes back onto him.

'' What's her family's position again?'' Jozie asked nervously, pulling me from my reverie.

I snapped my head back to him, '' The Kingsley's?''

'' Yeah... I just want to be prepared when I meet her parents.''

I tapped a finger on my chin. How could I put that nicely? Was there a way to put it nicely?

'' Um... well... to make a long story short, they're the Prestige treasurers. The gold mine, if you will.''

Rich, snob, bastards, should I go on? I didn't go on because we were surrounded by them, badmouthing them wasn't going to go unnoticed. It was more going to earn me a night in the dungeons, or a life-time in my case.

Jozie looked everywhere and nowhere at the same time, a drop of sweat glistening down his forehead. I clearly wasn't making things better but could you blame me? I was never good at this...stuff.

I understood his fear, though. We were talking about very powerful people, people with connections like none other. They were part of the Eight Houses so even if they weren't very politically present, they knew people who were. People like the Amory or the de Bourgogne family. Now, they weren't families to mess with.

The simple though of them made me shiver with fear, hatred and disgust.

'' How do you know so much about them, anyway. I get that you're... old, but I never pictured you for the politics loving kind.''

I raised a finger at him, '' First of all, do not call me old. I'm experienced, there is a difference. Secondly, well... I know this for... you know, survival.''

'' If you're so scared of them, why did you agree to come?''

I shoved him lightly, causing him to hit the bar, '' You know, I'm starting to ask myself that same question.''

Because after this night I wanted to still have a best friend? Because even if they weren't powerful, they shouldn't be trusted? Because I care about you?

I withheld these words, of course. They would only make him more nervous.

'' Anyway, I am hoping on going unnoticed tonight.'' I simply added.

He quirked an eyebrow at that, giving me a full head to toe, '' Going unnoticed? I'm sorry Dev but dressed like that, you're a lot of things but unnoticeable isn't one of them.''

I rolled my eyes at that with a snort. Jozie only chuckled, turning around to call the bartender over. While they were discussing drinks, I let my eyes wander once more, almost searching for something. Most people here had some variation of golden locks, so the raven-haired man wasn't very hard to find.

I finally spotted him, his height and hair color flashing out like neon signs. I leaned back against the bar, resuming my eye devouring. Almost like he knew I was staring at him, he looked over his shoulder and his eyes immediately found mine and my heart stopped beating.

No.

Oh god no.

No.

Fuck.