Chapter 12 - I'll fight for you

You were frozen solid, watching Minerva deal blow after blow to Lucy, it was torture, you felt like you couldn't look away, no matter how much you wanted to. Sting took notice of the tears welling at the corners of your eyes and pulled you into his chest.

"I think you've seen enough" And you had, you never doubted the tigers power, but this was unnecessary, Minerva had already won, why do this. You supposed it was probably your fault, she was doing this to prove her strength to you, you caused this. The thought made the tears spill, and you gripped Sting's shirt as you cried.

"I'm so sorry (Y/n), I really am, I know how much they mean to you." Sting whispered. "And I apologise for what I'm about to do." He finished, pulling you off his chest. "Just stay here with Rouge until this is over." He then leapt off the balcony to join the rest of his guild, the battle was over, but a group tigers and fairies had gathered in the arena.

"I would advise you not to create too much of a ruckus, I don't think our master has taken much notice of you yet, keep it that way," Rogue stated, rather matter-of-factly, but his voice carried a kind undertone.

"I don't understand," you sobbed, "Why would anyone do something like this!" You had never felt this weak in your life, there was nothing you could do to help Lucy, nothing you could do to help your guild. You could hear Natsu yelling, and Minerva gloating and it was all too much for you. You dropped to your knees and cried, more than you had in a long time, more than you had since Genie. You saw Rogue lean down next to you and sigh.

"I truly am sorry, (Y/n), I think it would be best for us to go," he whispered. You tried to stand, you just wanted this nightmare to be over, but your knees gave out underneath you and you fell back to the ground. You heard Rogue sigh and before you knew it he was carrying you out of the arena, and into the halls outside. He sat you down, leaning against a wall, and dropped next to you without speaking.

You just kept sobbing, it was like you couldn't stop, and nothing you told yourself would make it stop. You felt and arm around you and fell into Rogues embrace, you didn't care anymore, you just needed some comfort.

You don't know how long you sat there, but by the time the rest of Sabertooth found the two of you, you had calmed down, but your eyes remained swollen and your face red, any passer-by could tell you had been crying.

"Apologies (Y/n), perhaps that was a bit far, but I hope I've made my point very clear, you fairies wont beat us." Minerva spoke with almost a hint of remorse in her voice, but you didn't care, you felt numb to the world, like everything around you was moving but you had frozen in time.

"Yes, it's clear to me, but that doesn't mean my guild will give up," you all but whispered. Minerva sighed, holding out her hand.

"Come on now, Sting and Rogue are about the face your guild's dragon slayers, I highly doubt you want to miss that." She chuckled, and you accepted her hand, mostly because you feared what would happen if you didn't. You were still shaky on your feet, and you nearly fell over while trying to stand up, you felt like you were betraying your guild more and more every second that passed, and the feeling only got worse as you were once again lead to the Sabertooth balcony, under the scrutinising gaze of your guild mates.

"I-is Lucy alright?" You called across, with your head lowered.

"She's fine." You got an answer back, from a smiling Natsu.

"And don't worry (Y/n), Gajeel and I are about the kick the asses of those two tigers," he called across. You chuckled slightly, a little more life coming back to your eyes, you loved the way he always knew what to say to make you feel better. He was like the older brother you never knew you wanted.

"(Y/n), Rogue and I are about to head to the arena, but I need to talk to you first," Sting said from behind you, you nodded and he lead to away from the balcony, down into the tunnel entrances to the arena.

"I'm so, so sorry (Y/n), and I know you'll never believe me but I just want to make this right, please, just tell me how I can fix this." Sting was pleading with you, you couldn't fathom why and you didn't understand but he was.

"You didn't do anything wrong, Sting, I know you're not like them, I just wish everyone else did too," you all but whispered, afraid someone would hear.

"I'm going to fight with everything I have (Y/n), I'm going to prove that I'm all you need, that I can protect you. That you can stay with me."

"I don't need you to protect me, Sting, I need you to care about me. I-I need you to not leave me, to not fade away like everyone else did, I need you to take my fear away," You whispered, almost afraid to admit how you felt. You gazed up at him and realised that a small tear had found its way to his cheek. You reached up to brush it away, and he cupped his hand around yours, he was so soft, almost as if he was afraid that if he pushed you too hard you might break.

"Okay (Y/n), then I'll right to chase away your fears, I'll fight for you (Y/n), I'll fight so we can win this competition and I can prove that I deserve to keep you by my side. I will, and there's nothing Natsu or Gajeel can do to stop me. I promise you," he whispered, pulling your and into his chest and your body into his. He kissed you, gently, but with more emotion that you had ever been kissed with before. It left you breathless.

"Good luck, Sting, I can't cheer for you just yet, but hope this battle fulfils whatever you're hoping it will."