Chapter 2 - Rumble in Crocus

Crocus was nothing like you had imagined, even before your seven-year slumber you hadn't ever visited the capital. The city was bustling with excitement as wizard guilds and spectators from all over Fiore came for the games. The city was covered with flowers, festive markets and stalls lining the cobbled streets. It felt like a dream. You'd done some reflecting since that night, about how you ended up in that bed in the first place. Even though your memory had yet to avail itself, the hole you were trying to fill was clear. To be finally given the chance to prove what Fairy Tail could do was all you could ask for, and you intended to give it your absolute all. You were filled with a determination you hadn't felt since coming back for Tenrojima and you loved having something to fight for again. Everything was brighter.

Crowds weren't exactly your thing, so your first instinct was to find a quieter area and kill some time. You were a reserve member for Fairy Tail's team B, so you had to be back at the Honeybone inn by midnight like everyone else, even though you were unlikely to compete. You spied a nearby market that was selling books by your favourite author, so you immediately took off in that direction, pushing your way through the large masses of tourists, locals and wizards. When you finally reached the store, you began leafing through the books on display, loving the smell that the pages gave out. You could smell the history of each and every book, you could pick up the scents of every person who had touched it in the past day or so, like a sensory rewind button.

The wafting scent of spiced rum swirled on the wind, and you let yourself sink deeper into the books in front of you, lulled by the familiar smell. You found yourself in such a trance that the carrier of said scent was able to sneak right up to you and snake his arms around your waist. Before you knew it you were enveloped in warmth. Your brain took a second to realise that this was not, in fact, a good thing, and once it did you let out a small squeak of surprise.

"Well well well, I never expected to see you here, who would think we would meet again so soon." The voice smugly remarked, obviously enjoying seeing you startled. In any other circumstance you would have acted on instinct and sent a blast of magic his way. However, Fairy Tail already had a bad enough name, and you didn't need to make it worse by destroying part of the capital, only Natsu would be that stupid. So instead, you quelled the surprised fury that was welling in the pit of your stomach, and calmly turned around to come face to face with a vision of arrogance. The unkempt blonde hair, chiselled jaw, scarred eyebrow, and piercing blue eyes identified this arrogant person as the guy you woke up with a month or so earlier. Without removing his arms from your waist he continued,

"So, did you come to watch my guild win the games for the eighth year in a row?" You rolled your eyes, putting the pieces together in your head. At least now the thinly veiled arrogance made sense.

"You're a member of Sabertooth then." You asked, surprised that you hadn't noticed the distinct guild mark on his bicep earlier, though you may have been understandably distracted in your previous encounter. He chuckled and looked you up and down quickly, you could tell he was looking for a guild mark of some description, leading you to attempt to struggle out of his grasp. He only tightened his grip and you were a little relived that your guild mark was in a place not so easily discovered. Seeing his search avail noting he returned his gaze to meet your own.

"Where do you think you're going? I never did catch your name you know." He seemingly breathed the words, completely unfazed by the proximity of his face to yours.

"Now why would I tell you that, I'm not supposed to talk to strangers you know." You answered with a playful tone being thinly veiled by your cool words. This only amused him. He smiled and stepped back from you, you stopped yourself from unconsciously following his warmth. He made an exaggerated gesture with his hand and took a deep bow. He was obviously teasing you but you couldn't help but giggle.