Epilogue II

Khadeeja sat on the terrace with Sameer, listening with all the attention she had in her now frail body, as he recounted the tale of how Jalal had sacrificed himself for her.

Her accident had been 3 years before. For 1080 sleepless days and nights she'd sat up wondering if she had been normal, if she had felt such a strong feeling for someone for someone who hadn't existed.

Then Sameer came to meet her.

She had wept her share, but when he retold what happened that dawn, her heart broke all over again.

"What now uncle? Oh, it was so close, only 3 weeks ago. That was why you took so long to find me." She said in between tears, "we could've stopped it couldn't we? Couldn't we uncle?"

"No my child. There was nothing we could've done. A debt has been repaid. A debt old as time itself. A debt that kept him alive even as a one day old baby." His eyes darkened, then they came into focus again.

"Look up, Khadeeja. You see those doves in flight?" She nodded.

"Just remember him as a dove flying forever free.

He had his parents and ancestors burden on his shoulder. He spent years searching on how to rid himself of them, I'm sure."

She remembered with growing dread of the obsession. How foolish could she have been.

If he brought up the topic of the books one more time, she was taking the next bus home.

"Its time we enjoy the sunset." He said in an old tone, weakened by time.

He held her hand and they both watched as the doves flew a perfect infinity shape over the orange sun, Khadeeja's head resting on Sameer's shoulder.