Lights out - III

"Why, after all this time?" Sameer's voice was full of curiosity, a voice from another life.

"Not to avenge my parents like you think. Not overblown reasons like saving the family name. I came here for love."

Now the rage was back; Sameer looked like a thunderstorm about to blow.

"Love destroyed this family once, I won't let it again."

He swept his hand, and Jalal flew against the wall, his body impressioning into it as the backward force knocked him hard.

Jalal struggled to move his hand, and mustering all the force in his body he thrust his hand inside his coat.

He took out a pocket knife and prickled the middle of the pentagram on his chest. Blood trickled.

"Oh servant of Dawood Janahi. I call upon you to see to my bidding."

"What is it that you seek?" The second voice in Sameer spoke without moving his lips.

Jalal fell from where he was crushed upon the wall and when he looked up again Sameer had bowed down.

"I want to bring back my life; my Khadeeja. Is it possible?"

"It can be done son of Janahi. Are you ready for the payment?"

"I..."

Jalal's mind flashed back to the day when his frost grandfather had sent a troupe of men into the very mansion in search of the diaries. The night Sameer's mother had died.

It had been his life's mission to find the Ramadan Diaries. But what was it going to cost?

"Sameer?"

No response.

"What toll is this payment going to have on me?"

"You will have to share."

"Share what?"

"Your body. But your soul will belong to you."

That's a nice way to sugarcoat it, Jalal thought.

"Leave, faithful servant. And forfeit Sameer's body while you do so. I dont want you occupying his body any longer."

"As you wish."

There was a loud booming noise, and the walls shook for a moment.

And in a moment the bowing Sameer had fallen to the carpet, panting blood.

"Sir, please." He said in between pained breaths. "Whatever it is you're doing, stop."

"No." He replied blandly.