Dawn

The rain trickled down his head, and he wiped it with his sleeve.

A frightened Sameer stood holding the lamp, watching, as Jalal dug up the supposed grave of Dawood Janahi.

Sameer's shirt was bloodstained.

"This is not necessary, Jalal. Please. You cannot unbury the dead."

Jalal did not hear, or he pretended not to.

"I'm sorry, Jalal. I never meant to kill your father." He shouted over the pouring rain, then in a much lower voice, "I was young, and stupid. Just like you are now."

"I know what you are thinking, uncle.  But this." Jalal shouted back. "But I dont care about any of that anymore. I used to wonder. But. This is different."

Sameer could guess what sort of different. He had considered bringing back his own parents many a time but, in the end he never had enough courage.

But watching Jalal dig through the rain, his eyes determined, he understood yet another thing.

Maybe he didn't have enough love.

-

"The bone of an ancestor. The blood of a relative, which happens to be yours uncle. And a willing soul." Jalal smiled; a tired smile.

Sameer looked at him, and couldn't hold back a deep sense of regret.

"Had you been in your father's place I would never have even considered taking the gun."

"Then why did you?" He asked warmly.

"My father had died recently. Talib moved in after his passed away, which was soon after. He never liked me. Said I was old fashioned." He said, and left out a strained sigh. "He thought I did not understand love, as I always used to reproach him."

"Why?"

"He had fallen in love with the daughter of the biggest tyrant of our small village. The man was wanted for everything including murder. Imagine the bad name that brought to our family!"

"And then?"

"I lost control one day. Said things about his love I should never have. He kicked me out of the house with his bare feet. Onto the simmering street. Then he insulted my parents before onlookers and I left, running."

"I'm sorry uncle."

"It was my fault too, Jalal. I was young, hot tempered. But you, you still have a chance."

"No uncle. I don't deserve that chance."

"Hmm."

"Let's begin."