Prologue

Yellowstone National Park, USA.

March 2017

Dr Francis Dietrich

"The gas release is increasing here, here and here and at hot springs A, B and C, are seeing temperatures raise way past boiling point. The harmonic tremors are seeing an increase hence the lack of animals in this area and the decrease of them over here. There is no further data at this current time; however an eruption is looking imminent within the next couple of months. It is advised that the government should take action as soon as realistically possible." My colleague, Robert, rolls his map up on the table before straightening up and peering at me expectantly.

"Damn. Came here to investigate animal populations and who knew we'd be dealing with this. God" I massage my temples with the tips of my fingers in an attempt to process what he had just told me.

"You have to be kidding me. The temperature of the hot spring can't have an increased that much and the animals have probably just migrated for the winter season. They'll come back like they do every year. Besides, this volcano hasn't erupted in tens of thousands of years."

"Ernst, this volcano is overdue to erupt. According to the files, a super volcano is supposed to erupt every fifty thousand years and it has been seventy-five thousand years since the last one. I say it is very likely that this one is going to erupt and it going to erupt sooner rather than later." I practically yell at another of my colleagues who just stands looking at me, over the frames of his glasses.

I breathe out a frustrated sigh and storm out of the tent, standing to place my hands on my hips as I scan my eyes over the surrounding mountains of Yellowstone, which loom ominously against gathering rainclouds. To any superstitious folk, they could almost appear as a bad omen. From where our small campsite is nestled, I really begin to realise how small and insignificant our group really is. Muttering heatedly under my breath, I regain my cool and slip back through the opening of the tent.

"We need to tell the government sooner rather than later of our findings. President Arrington needs to address the public to get the evacuation process starting now. Two thirds of the country could possibly be wiped out if we sit here and do nothing." I try and convince Ernst, knowing that I already have Robert on my side.

"I'm not wasting my time on this any longer. If you want to worry people about volcanoes, why not talk to the people of Washington where they have many active volcanoes. Mount St Helens only erupted thirty years ago. Surely that is more likely to erupt that this dormant volcano and if it did erupt, I doubt that it would kill as many as you're saying it would." Ernst snapped back at me, packing away some the equipment as he leaves the tent.

Robert looks over to me, shrugging his shoulders as if to say 'there is nothing more we can do'. "What the boss says goes. Best to back down before you lose your position, Francis." Robert then says to me before packing up his own equipment and walking away, leaving me the only one left in the tent.

There's nothing left to do except pack my own bags and catch my lift before the rain starts to fall.