Chapter 20

"You know you don't have to do this, right?" Ben said.

"I know." I replied.

Ben and I were walking down the hallway at school after our last class ended. He was walking me to the school library, where I was meeting up with Erin to tutor her. We reached the two large double doors to the entrance of the library and stopped. I peered through the rectangular windows on the door and spotted Erin sitting a table. She was applying red lip stick onto her lips while looking into a little compact mirror.

"That is not her shade." I said while shaking my head with my face pressed against the window.

Ben chuckled and pulled me away from the window. "Did you want me to wait for you?" Ben asked.

I sighed and said, "No, it's fine. Just go home. I can walk after I'm done."

"Okay." Ben looked at me intently. "Just don't accept any rides from strangers." I knew he was making a Luis reference and I hit him playfully.

"Ha. Ha. Funny." I rolled my eyes. "Get out of here."

Ben smirked at me, gave me a quick peck on the lips and watched me as I entered the library. As I approached Erin, I saw how horrible and bright that lipstick looked on her. It was definitely going to be a distraction. Who even thinks to apply lipstick before getting tutored?

As soon as I reached the table I slammed our Chemistry Text book on the table in front of Erin and she jumped. "Okay let's make this as smooth and painless as possible. I don't like you and you don't like me so we're even. I am only doing this because I don't want to take the final. I couldn't care less if you fail the class." I said plainly and her expression was filled with surprise and disgust and then she rolled her eyes. She literally had nothing to say back to me. I took a seat next to her.

I opened the text book to the chapter we were on in class. It was on calculating percentage yield from a limiting reactant. "Okay, let's just start by working on the homework problems." I said scanning the homework problems. "Actually, you need to first understand stoichiometry."

"What is stoichiometry?" She asked.

"It's like doing mass and mole conversions."

"Oh with avocados number,right?"

I stared at her blankly."His name is Avogadro."

"Whatever. So, how are we suppose to know the mass of the compounds or elements."

"There's this fancy thing that they give us on every exam in class. It's called a periodic table. Use it." I said flatly. My 4 year old sister was smarter than this chick. I took a deep breath and sighed. I silently prayed for patience, because I was lacking it at the moment.

I decided to go back 2 chapters and start with the basics. I explained everything that was necessary for her to understand percent yield and we did a couple of practice problems. The one hour session went by pretty quickly and I was happy about that. I could not stand to be in Erin's presence for longer than that.

"Is it making sense at all?" I asked as I started packing up my things into my bag.

"Yeah, it actually does." Erin replied, but rolled her eyes.

"Careful, your vision deteriorates with every eye roll." I said.

Erin looked at me with her blue eyes and scrunched her nose. "Oh, really?"

"Yeah, so stop." With that being said I walked out of the library laughing silently in my head. She is so gullible. I was actually looking forward to tutoring her tomorrow just to mess with her.