Chapter 16 - Thanks Doctors

"What is going on? Second nephew being wheeled into this hospital within a week!" Will groaned as he saw Natalie Manning tending to Cody.

"I think it's appendicitis," Jay told Will when he walked in with Erin right beside him. "I can remember the symptoms you had back in high school when your appendix burst, and Cody is the same."

"Okay, I'll let Nat know that's what we're suspecting." Will said before hurrying off to tell her.

When Will entered, he saw Natalie already taking an X-ray of Cody's abdomen, but he also saw Cody awake with tears on his face.

"Nat, Jay suspects it's appendicitis." Will told her.

"Yep, he's right." Natalie informed him, looking at the X-ray. "Call an OR, he needs surgery now."

Will managed to get to Cody before they wheeled him away. He wiped the tears from his face and kissed his forehead.

"You're going to be okay, Cody. You'll be just fine." Will assured him, stroking his hair before he was taken to the OR.

-/-/

"Antonio just texted and said Em is feeling better, so it must've been just a stomach bug. Also, Andrew is beginning to feel a little better." Erin informed Jay as they waited for news on Cody.

Jay didn't say anything, he just nodded slightly.

"You okay?" Erin asked him.

"When Antonio told me about Cody's symptoms, I knew what was wrong with him. Will had he exact same thing happen to him in the exact same way when he was the exact same age."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Except, he decided it was best to pretend nothing was wrong and go to his football game anyway; this was in October. He was the quarterback. And as the ball was snapped to him, he caught it and then just froze. His stomach hurt so bad he basically collapsed on the field. I don't know why I remember it so vividly, but I do."

"Awe, babe. That's kinda sad. But he's fine now, just like Cody will be." Erin told him, kissing his cheek.

"Yeah, I know. I just worry more than necessary sometimes."

Will and Ethan then approached them.

"He's out of surgery and in recovery. The surgery went smoothly and he'll be back to normal in no time." Ethan said with a smile.

"Come on, let's go see him; my shift is over." Will said, leading them to his nephew's room.

When they entered his room, Cody was awake.

"Hello." He said with a slight smile on his face.

"Hey, Buddy. How're you doing?" Jay and Erin asked.

"I feel all floaty."

"We have good pain meds here at Chicago Med." Will said sarcastically.

"Mhmm." Cody moaned, his smile still on his face.

"Well, Cody, you're okay again, bud. The doctors made you healthy again." Erin told Cody, talking to him like she did when he was young.

"Thanks doctors." Cody mumbled before falling asleep.