Chapter 7 - Slow Motion

"Uncle Will? Why're you still here? I mean, no offense, but why haven't we seen our parents in the past week?" Cody asked Will when he woke up on Saturday morning.

The kids had been in school for a week and their parents had been at work, working on a difficult case for a week. When they came home it was close to midnight, if not past it. And they were always gone before the kids got up. Will had been there when he wasn't working to look after the kids, but the kids were getting concerned now.

"Cody, you know that cases are hard sometimes. Just give them some time and once it's resolved, life will get back to normal for you guys, don't worry." Will told him as he cooked waffles for breakfast.

"Hey, William Halstead, don't lie and cover things up to protect my feelings. I need the truth so I can keep it from my brother and sister. Now spill." Cody said, standing in front of his uncle now.

"Alright Cody William, I will share with you what I know. But beyond what I tell you, you'll need to ask your grandpa for information."

Cody nodded, just wanting to hear what was going on.

"So, this case has been very hard for your parents, as you already know. From what I know, it started with a woman stabbing her husband to death Monday morning, the start of the case. Now, the husband was in the Rangers with your dad. They weren't that close, but they were still friends. He also knew he had a kid, who would be about 8 years old now. They have the mom/murderer in custody. She won't spill where the kid is or why she killed her husband."

"And let me guess, they're looking for the kid now but all they're finding are dead leads?" Cody finished, Will nodding.

"Okay, so, I'm going to go to the district today and visit. Good with you?" Cody asked.

"Alright, Boss-man, you do what you want but I have to work in a couple hours."

-/-/-/

"Hey Aunt Trudy." Cody said as he approached the sergeant.

"Ah, Chuckles Jr. How's it going?" Trudy said, looking up from her work.

"Just great. Can I go up and see them or are they out right now?" Cody asked, gesturing towards the bullpen.

"I believe your mom and dad are out investigating a lead, but everyone else should be up there."

-/:-/:

"Erin, I hate this case so much." Jay told her as they drove to investigate a lead that they were sure would be dead, just like all the others.

"Me too, but we have to find that kid." Erin told him, resting her hand on his as she drove.

"I know but where? We don't even know if it's a boy or a girl we're looking for!" Jay said, throwing his head back in irritation.

"We will find that kid, don't worry." Erin assured him before parking along the curb in front of the house they were supposed to investigate.

"Yeah, I hope so. Every time we get cases like this, I can't help but think of Terry." Jay said solemnly as he hopped out of the car and went onto the porch before knocking on the door.

Erin didn't know what to say and didn't have time to say anything because he was already waiting on the porch so she hurried and joined him

"Chicago PD!" Erin called as Jay banged on the door.

They gave each other a look, knowing something suspicious was going on. Jay gestured that he was going to kick the door down, before doing so after Erin nodded.

They entered and began to search the house before Erin heard Jay's voice.

"Hey, it's okay buddy. I'm going to get you out of here, okay? It's okay."

Erin followed Jay's voice to the basement, where she found Jay kneeled in front of a little boy, who couldn't have been any older than Emily, with bruises all over him.

"W-who's that?" The boy squeaked out, pointing to Erin.

"That's my partner, and wife, Erin." Jay told him, slowly getting closer to him, knowing he was petrified.

"We need to leave." The kid said, suddenly seemingly more scared than before.

"Why?" Jay asked, wanting to gain knowledge from the kid, but also just ecstatic to see the kid alive.

What happened next seemed to be in
slow-motion.

Erin saw the man emerge from around the corner. She saw the gun the same time Jay did. She yelled for him to get out of the way, but Jay jumped and threw his body over the kid, making sure nothing happened to him.

However, this move got Jay shot twice in the side, the force pushing him off the boy, who got shot in the arm. Erin ended the gunfire by shooting the man in the head, but that didn't change what had just happened.