Chapter 43

Raidyn

It's been two weeks since Cal left and Raven is actually surprisingly stable, but maybe that's because she's never truly alone anymore. I think that she's finally recovering from her grief. She seems basically back to her old-bubbly-self and it's refreshing to have the high spirit around the castle again.

This morning Raven is accompanying me with my run, so I'm thinking about all of this while she's running next to me. I curve my head so that way i get a glimpse of her face. Raven sees me and smiles back at me, she's happy, and that's all i want for her.

The people all stare as we jog by. I think they're all still amazed by the returned princess. I would be too if I didn't see her around all the time. My meetings the past couple of weeks have been constant and normally I talk to Raven in between sessions, but I seem to have been booked back to back since there's always a new problem to deal with. The land I rule over is so vast. I really haven't seen that much of anyone lately besides Byrd afterwards my day is through and I spent that time doting on her every need. She's so pregnant right now that I swear she's going to pop soon. Her baby bump is the roundest I've ever seen it, I don't doubt that Hollis will come out bigger than Riesner was when he joined the realm.

Riesner is six months old now. In another six months he'll be a year. I thank the gods every day for them blessing us with him. He's perfect in every way. His little trickster personality keeps me on the balls of my feet and he never ceases to amaze me. He is truly my pride and joy. I can't wait for Hollis to join us, but I also can. The pregnancy is just progressing so quickly and I know this birth will be a bitch for her.

"R!" Raven waves her hand in front of my face.

"Huh" I hum in response.

"I just felt a raindrop. What's upsetting you?" She frowns.

My forehead wrinkles as I do the same. "Oh. Nothing. Well, not really...I'm just stressing out myself over Byrd giving birth. I'm just so nervous for her. You've got to see the pain she's in whenever he's active, it kills me to her like that and not be able to do anything to help."

She frowns. "I'm sure everything will be fine. The baby is just a little rascal like you were. He will be out of her soon enough, we're here for her and she knows that."

"But is that enough? I'm just nervous about the complications. I almost feel like this is our first time going through this; her last pregnancy was just so different..." I exhale and try to keep my pace matched with Raven's.

"She had no problem giving birth to Riesner. She'll have no problem giving birth to her second. I think I read somewhere the second time is easier. She knows what to expect. You're just nervous because he's growing so fast. Her body will know what to do when the time comes." She briefly smiles over at me.

My eyes grow wide. Only one thing she mentioned caught my attention. "Why the hell were you reading about pregnancy Raven?"

"For Byrd!" Raven growls and runs ahead of me. "Besides I was reading moms journals." She calls back.

"Woah. Don't bite my head off or anything." My breathing gets deeper as try to catch up to her, but I can't. "Raven give me a break." I huff. "You know I can't keep up."

"That's the point, R!" She gives me a mischievous smile. "Especially when you're going to accuse me of being pregnant! I know what you were thinking!"

"Oh no, I didn't think that you were pregnant, I just thought you were thinking about pregnancy or trying to tell me something pertaining to the subject."

"No, I'm not pregnant, I don't want to be pregnant or anything pertaining to it--my two little nephews are all I need...for now."

"Yeah, well, since you and Cal are just friends and no one knows where Duck is I didn't really think you'd be pregnant." I tease.