Chapter 27: Epiphanies and Cookies

Chapter 27:

“Hi Teddy, been a long time you’ve been here,” Lisa, the nice receptionist greeted. I’ve known Lisa since the day I moved in this town to be in Redwood.

“I know. So many things to do in school,” I replied as I signed my name in the visitor’s log book.

Lisa just nodded and went back to her computer. She knows that I already know the way to my aunt. I thanked her and went on my way. I walked up the stairs and met a few patients who said hello and a few nurses too. I went by my aunt’s room and found it empty so I went back to the den or mess hall. I stopped a male nurse who was helping an old man read his letter. “Excuse me; do you know where aunt Judith Spencer is?” I asked.

The nursing home looks like a condominium with cool amenities. One look at it you would think this building wouldn’t be filled with old people. This nursing home was the newest in town so they remodeled it after big buildings in the city.

The nurse smiled, “You must be her granddaughter. There she is, playing bridge.” He pointed to a circular table with elderly playing cards. I thanked the male nurse.

I smiled as I saw I her guffaw. The last time I’ve been here she can only manage a chuckle. I walked up to her and tapped her on the shoulder.

“Hi Aunt Judith!!!” I squealed as I hugged her tightly. She squeezed back. It feels so good.

Aunt Judith doesn’t look like your typical grandmother. She has white hair with blue and purple streaks and she loves wearing beads and moccasins and she loves to wear statement earrings. She just stays in a nursing home cause the equipments are easier to work with here.

“Theodora, honey!!!! How I’ve missed you!”  She said as she gave her cards to the lady next to her.

She left the table and waved to her bridge friends goodbye and led me out of the den. Their den is kind of a mess hall.

“I brought you something!” I lifted the paperbag I’ve been carrying the whole time.

“Italian!” she shrieked as she peeked inside the bag. I bought risotto, her favorite and some baked clams. Italian has always been her favorite cuisine and she used to cook Italian food every Christmas.

I laughed, “I know how much you’ve missed it! And I’m really sorry about not visiting you,” I told her. Aunt Judith led me outside where they have little tables with huge umbrellas that faces the pool. There were still lots of people in the pool today even if it’s 12:30.

 “I know and I’ve been missing you so much!” she said before eating her risotto.

“School’s really busy,” I explained.

“Yeah? Tell me about it. Tell me everything. I missed hearing your voice,” she said. This is why I feel closest to her. She is like a mother, a best friend, a sister all in one body.

“Well, I broke my ankle last school trip but I’m fine now and I called mom today and just normal usual school stuff and I got a new phone today,” I summed everything that happened.

 “That’s all? Oh come on, honey, tell me the deets!”Aunt Judith laughed at her impersonation of a teen girl, using slang words.

I giggled, “Well, Roxette has a boyfriend,” Aunt Judith knows Roxette because Roxette used to come with me when I visit.

“Is he cute? Nice? Nice is good,” Aunt Judith pointed out. 

“Yeah, he’s nice and he’s in a band too,” I specified. Aunt Judith is musically-inclined.