Chapter 11

I finally came to my senses.
"Thanks... I guess."
"Mhmm." She replied, after for a long period of unsettling silence. I stepped back from her and began to depart, but something inside pulled me to return to her. I turned around to face her again, only to find out she had gone. I knew she would return, though. She had to. I took my mind off of the recent encounter and returned to my mission: protecting Bailey.

I was a cat again now; it was nearly sundown. I had been watching over Bailey all afternoon with ease, but now I needed a place to sleep once again. My instincts took me back to that elderly woman from a night before. 
I made my way to her front yard again. I observed my surroundings to see that there were no cans I could knock over for attention this time around. However, her bedroom patio window was open. I plodded over to her porch and stood up on my hind legs and inserted my claws into her side walls and attempted to climb them, but to no avail. I knew if I kept trying, I would only get hurt, so I attempted a new approach. I walked away from her porch and back towards her front lawn to an oak tree. I dug my claws into its trunk and hoisted myself up it's height as far as I could go. I maneuvered its many branches and to finalize my efforts, I took a staggering leap from a thin branch towards the top of the tree onto the roof of the house.
"It worked!" I gasped to myself with relief.
I made my way across the rooftop, and when I found the patio I gracefully hopped onto it, and glided through the window. Conveniently, I was now in the master bedroom. I made my was around each room in the house, but the elderly woman wasn't home. 
"It's alright, she won't mind me staying here. She has such a kind heart."

It was dark now. I was sleeping in one of her guest rooms. It was significantly darker than the master bedroom, due to only a single window, shit off my black curtains. It was the only other room that was not closed off by a door, and I didn't want to risk giving myself away at this time. I curled up into a ball on top of the blankets of the twin-sized bed and began to look around. The room was modernly styled, and the bed was lined with black and grey bedding. The pillows were white with a black trim. There was a white desk parallel to the bed I was resting on; it held a personal computer, connected printer, paperwork and a cup of pens and miscellaneous objects, such as paperclips and markers. The closet doors were presented with full body mirrors, and in the corner at the foot of the bed, was a black trunk sealed shut with a grey metal lock. I assumed it was some sort of hope chest.
I rested my head on my paws and closed my eyes from exhaustion. I was so overwhelmed, I could barely understand my own thoughts from my fears. 
"If this means being a guardian, then maybe they were right. Maybe I'm not ready." I whimpered to myself. My hope began to drain.
"I don't know if I can handle all this stress. Maybe I would be better as a messenger or something. Or maybe even - "

"Can I lay with you?" I perked up to see Razorclaw in the doorway in her feline form as well.
"Uh..." 
"Sorry, I just got tired of sleeping in a gross alleyway. May I sleep in here with you tonight?"
I knew demons were said to be horrible creatures, but her skinniness and mangy fur made me take pity on her. I'm an angel after all. It's my job to be nice to all creatures great and small.  I felt it was godly to help her.
"I guess that's fine."
"Thanks." Her tone was soothing and polite. She truly was grateful. Something I would never expect from a she-demon. Or any demon, in that matter.

She hopped up onto the bed and made her way towards me. She rested her back against mine, and then rolled over to face me. I did my best to seem uninterested.

"Why did you really come here? There are so many other places you could have stayed." I asked her politely. Her response was completely unexpected.
"I came here for you, and to be with you."