Chapter 10

She stood there aghast before me. She was blushing, I could tell I had made her uncomfortable. 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean for - "
"What is wrong with you?! she interrupted with a harsh, yet fearful tone.
"You're an angel. I'm a demon. Any other form of interaction beyond our conflict  is completely forbidden! Not to mention we're both girls. Geeze, and I thought I was weird."

"Yeah... I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable." I was likely much more uncomfortable than she was, however. She ignored my apology with a scoff.

"Hmph." 
"I said I was sorry."   
"Whatever." For some reason, her irritation began to turn into excitement. 
"You are so going to fail your mission!"
"No, I'm not!"
"Yes you are. You just called me beautiful. What godly angel calls a female demon beautiful?"
I  stayed silent.
"Face it, there can only be one success here, and it's going to be me, not you Brightheart." 
"Take that back!" 

I raised my white paws out at her and felt my limbs grow longer and thicker. My fur melted away to reveal my white-toned skin. My ears transferred from the top of my head back to the side, and their tips rounded. My pupils grew wider, and my muzzle and whiskers shrank. My tail withered, and I felt my paw pads grow into my fingers. I stood up tall, and began to relax, as my medium length, copper-colored hair returned to my scalp and curled again. My eyes faded from blue to brown, and my white fur coat turned into my uniform: a pure white, asymmetrical chiffon dress with a sweetheart neckline. I felt it flow in the breeze as my white flats appeared to accent my feet, and my collar flashed away from my neck and rose to above my head. It was once again the solid gold circular band it was truly meant to be. I stood before her with my face no more than an inch away from hers. I stared deep into her red eyes; I could sense sadness within her.

"Dang." She smirked.
"What?" 
"I think I finally understand what you mean."
"What do I mean?" I did my best to pretend to be confused. 
"You're... Beautiful too."

I wasn't sure how to take the compliment; it felt so wrong, yet so right. I froze up, and stood there before her with my thoughts racing. I could feel my angelic instincts scolding me.
 I didn't want to betray him, or myself with this situation. I didn't want to fail my mission due to the appearance of some she demon trying to distract me. I just want to succeed and earn my wings, but something deep down told me I wanted her more. Much more than anything.