Chapter 1

His name is Bailey Carter. He's exactly eight years, five months, eighteen days, three hours, and forty-nine seconds old. This was as of when I was told like an hour ago or something. I can see now why the others say I have a poor attention span. Oh well.

He currently lives in the homestead part of Las Vegas, Nevada in a two-story, three bedroom house with his older sister and mother. His dad is out "getting milk." I didn't like the whole 'it takes over three years to find the right gallon of milk and not contact your family once since then' portion of that deal. But I knew what it really meant.

All that matters is I don't mess up this time. I need to find a way to make this chance different from the last ones. I've failed too much, and I'm sick of letting him down. If this doesn't go according to plan, it's all over for me...

"Chloe? Chloe, are you paying attention?" My racing thoughts were interrupted by the sound of his voice. 

"Uh, yes sir! I am." 

"Really? Then do please tell me what instructions I just gave you." He said sternly. 

"His location, and basic living information right?"

"No Chloe. I was telling you what I always tell you right before you start zoning out again." 

"My responsibilities?" I guessed, even though I knew that's probably what it was.

"Yes, sweetheart. Now what are your responsibilities as a guardian in training?"

It was always the same thing that he wanted to hear to make sure I knew what I was doing, and to reassure him that I was paying attention. 

"To keep my assigned child off the path of sin and aid in correct decision making." That was the short definition if it. Pretty much don't let the child be all evil. No cheating, stealing, lying, and that kinda stuff.

"Correct. Are you sure you can handle this? Do you know the consequences of this failure?" His tone was sharp as well as sympathetic. I could tell this wasn't what he wanted to happen.

"I lose the title of guardianship, and spend all of eternity walking with no wings. I know. I'm sorry I've failed you so much, sir."

"I try looking past these occurrences, and focusing on now. I know you mean no harm, Chloe."

"Okay sir..."

"Off you go then, you have much to do." 

Before I knew it, I was already headed to earth. My halo had gone, and so had my heavenly robe. A beak replaced my mouth, and with my arms, grew white wings along with new scale-like feet. I shrunk almost immediately, and was now a pure white dove riding the winds of eternal destiny. Even with this new form, I still had the same mind as the angelic version of me found in heaven. Nothing would ever distract me from the first part of my mission: Fly to Vegas, and locate eight year-old Bailey Carter.