Chapter 8

I sat at the entrance of the alleyway contemplating whether or not to continue my search. Something deep inside me told me to stay put, but it felt unethical. I thought long and hard before my trail of thought was interrupted by distant childlike yelling. They were gaily running down towards me. The local elementary school must have just let out. Without thinking, I made an effort to hide and ran into the alley and froze behind one of the metal trashcans. I heard two young voices heading in my direction. I peered out from behind the can I was hiding behind to see three young boys entering the drug store. Without thinking, I darted after them and made my way into the first aisle before sliding a few more feet in a failed attempt to grip the cold cement within the store. I hid in the back of the first aisle under a shelf elevated enough to slip myself underneath. It was dark, and I had to keep my legs bent to prevent myself from hitting my head, but at least I was hidden. I crouched as low as I could and began to think of why I'd even ran into the drug store in the first place. 

"Hey Bailey, what kinda bubblegum do you want? They have regular, watermelon, and strawberry."

My ears shot in the direction of the voices. Did he say what I think he said?

"Just regular please."

I emerged slowly from my hiding place and patted closer to the boys, but still did what I could to stay unseen. Luckily, the store wasn't very busy. The boy who had requested regular gum was short and slender with short brown hair and hazel eyes. He wore blue jeans, a horizontally striped red and blue shirt, tennis shoes, and his backpack, which was black with crimson accents. I observed him closely. Was this Bailey Carter? I must know for sure.

After the three boys obtained their gum and preceded to leave the store, I followed in pursuit. I left the drug store and stayed a car's length feet behind the trio. I was eased that they were unaware of my presence. 

Fifteen minutes into unrecognized pursuit, I entered a culdesac and watched as the three boys separated as one boy entered a simple, one-story house surrounded by lush green grass on all sides, separated by a white picket fence revealing a side yard to another house. It was two stories and had a basketball hoop in the driveway. Bailey and the boy who had bought him his gum earlier entered this one. I assume they were brothers and a friend next door. As the 3 boys disappeared from sight, I approached their doorstep still keeping as inconspicuous as possible. The yard was lush and green, with a few weeds and dandelions here and there. Towards the front left corner of the yard, was a marble birdbath. It was surprisingly well maintained. I came to the very front of the doorstep to bound across a personalized door rug with the script. "Home of the Carter family" sewn into it. Relief washed over me, as I had finally found what I have been seeking for. I've reached my assignment.

"Aha! I've found you, Bailey. It sure took a lot, but don't worry, you're safe with me now. I won't fail this time. I promise."

"Are you sure about that?" I turned around to see a crow sitting atop the rim of the basketball hoop. Her eyes cold and soulless. I gazed at her extremely concerned, yet peeved. 

"You thought our meeting was a one and only affair, didn't you? Well, you're mistaken because that was only the beginning."

"The beginning of what?" I questioned harshly. She let out a mild chuckle before replying. 

"The beginning of us, and the end of you." She cooed.