Chapter 2: Cornerstone

That night Anna went downstairs and knocked Sebastian's door as she told him. She felt he would be the perfect person to show her around the city thought deep down Sebastian didn't fancy so much the idea as it's known.

Somehow she was nervous, mainly because she didn't know how to start a chat with someone she had met the same morning. Fear is called.

And on the other hand, there was Sebastian, waiting for her inside his apartment while cooking something to eat before leaving.

''Make yourself comfortable! I'm quite busy right now!'' His voice replied going through the place to the kitchen when he unlocked the door.

''Oh well... I can return later if you are busy.'' Anna said shyly with her black coat wrapped around her arms.

''It is nice.'' He replied quietly. Then, he looked up at her eyes. ''Have you had dinner?''

''Actually I was wondering if we were going to eat something out there.'' She explained. ''But no, I haven't.''

''Okay.'' He nodded twice and grabbed two plates to serve the pasta. ''This is not my best recipe but it is quick.''

''It is not-''

''Dragostea trece prin stomac.'' He spoke up and she leaned her head, grabbing the plate.

''Romanian?'' She asked and he gazed her surprised.

''Yeah, I'm from Romania.'' He affirmed and chuckled. ''It means that love goes through the food.''

''Oh yes. Indeed it does.'' She laughed and sit down a chair.

''So, how is everything up there?'' Sebastian asked this time, but walking slowly with her around the streets.

''It is nice. At least I guess so.'' She replied with a smile. ''How long have you been here?''

''Oh, well here in Brooklyn maybe... Two years.'' He affirmed. ''But here in the U.S., since I was three or four years old. I do not remember well. I was a child.''

''Do you miss it?'' She asked after a few on the way back home.

''What?'' He replied in a sigh.

''Do you miss your country?'' Anna repeated again.

''I do.'' He affirmed again. ''It is my country, I've got a few things left at my home town.''

''I see.'' She replied quietly. He gave her a look.

''What about you and Poland?'' He asked. ''I don't want to be rude.''

''It's okay.'' She sighed. ''I-I should come back home. There's a few things I must do and I'm quite tired, Sebastian.''

''Oh, right.'' Sebastian said awkwardly at his door this time. ''Whatever you need, I'm downstairs. You just have to knock at my door.''

''Thank you.'' She grinned lightly. ''And also thank you for today. Goodnight, Sebastian.''

''Anna?'' He asked while she put her foot over the stairway. ''I'm sorry if I've-''

''Don't worry Sebastian.'' She shook twice and then, after waving, she left.

And that same night, Sebastian had a good sleep since the last time he could.

It wasn't easy for him to have a nice night since the problems came and he turned into a cold stone.

He used to wake up in the middle of the night because of the nightmares most of the days, at least once at week these kind of things happened to him.                                                               Probably most of you are questioning what he meant with 'a few things left' in his home town. He did mean his self-peace, the one who wasn't with him and now for a long time.

Maybe if he came back for a few days, he would be fine forever.

That night, before he could sleep, he was lying in bed when he did listen something wrong coming from the next floor. Anna's exactly. She was crying way so much that everyone around could hear her sobbing.                                                                                                                                             Why? Well, it was more than obvious. It was related with the reason why she left Poland.

Hard times come to everyone.

But this time he did anything about it. However, they'd just met that day and even if they were the closest friends ever, he thought she was the only one who could decide about speaking up. Sebastian had friends in Brooklyn as well. Not as much as he'd prefer, but enough. And he did that with them: he gave that 'space'.

However, time passed away, exactly a year and December was barely alive. It was the 30th of December, and Sebastian and Ana became quite close. They spent some time together, but not too much since both of them had to work, of course. And that's when she began to wonder why Sebastian was like a wall after all. Why he didn't tell anyone about his life, or his problems. Why so quiet.

But on the other hand, she began to think that because she opened a bit herself to Seb. He asked the right questions at the right time, something that caught her attention somehow. The attraction was still there.

But that day, the same morning after he made it to skip work a few hours earlier, he didn't think about it twice and made his way back to the café. He needed to talk with Jane.

''Jane?'' He asked as he opened the door and reached the counter. She looked at him surprised.

''You will say honey. Have you miss something?'' She asked kindly.

''Can I talk to you, but inside?'' He asked, playing with his hands. She leaned her head and waved somehow her hand to let him know he could enter.

''Sebastian, my dear, what's the matter?'' She asked holding his hand to make him calm down.

''It's... It's...'' He mumbled.

''Okay, you are worrying me.'' She whispered and placed her other hand over his cheek softly. This time, he took a deep breath before speaking up.

''I've found someone that I may like.'' Sebastian said after a while. Jane just smiled lightly. ''I know this is crazy, and that you probably hate me.''

''I do not hate you.'' She chuckled and rested herself over a table while he walked up and down. ''What's her name then?''

''Anna.'' He replied softly. ''She's living upstairs. I mean, she moved to...''

''I get it.'' Jane nodded twice.

''I've been helping her and showing her around because she's from Poland and she's got no one around here.'' He explained, this time less nervous. ''I don't know why I've been helping her, why there's so much attraction between us, I simply don't understand. And you know who and how I am, Jane.''

''Indeed I do.'' Jane said in a whisper, nodding again. ''That's one of the things that surprises me the most, Sebastian.''

''I do...''

''See, as my own experience tells me, you do like her.'' She spoke up for once. ''Indeed you do, but you are afraid because you are not sure if she feels the same way for you.''

''But it's been a year since I do like her, Jane.'' He complained and rubbed his forehead. ''I can't take it anymore. We've been through so much the entire year.''

''Then, you can go ahead and talk to her tomorrow. Invite her.'' She suggested.

''That won't work.'' He said.

''If you don't do it, you won't know.''

''And what do I say?'' He asked hopeless. ''She's been crying every single night since she moved to her place. I can tell you right now the answer.''

''Just go and ask her, for God's sake!'' Jane exclaimed. ''You know what I think about this.''

''Thank you for...'' Sebastian said in a whisper.

''Do not ever say that again. And now, go.''