Chapter 12: What a Lie

"Sebastian, we need to talk." Anna said when he came home that evening. She was waiting for him on the couch. The named one felt some bad vibes running down his spine. She never called him like that unless it was something bad.

"What's the matter?" He asked taking off his coat. It was the 15th of January. He gave her a peck.

"Sit down, please." She whispered and rubbed her hands. She couldn't look into his eyes. She had already made the choice.

"Anna, you are worrying me."

"The last month I got an offer from Florence." She spoke. "It is a huge deal. Six months working with the best high brands from Italy and the world. I've been thinking so much about it lately, way more that I'd like to."

"You've taken it." Sebastian whispered. He knew Anna more than she already did. "When are you leaving?"

"Next week. Friday." She replied. The silence filled the room and their bodies.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"You were busy, Sebastian." She said looking at the table this time. The tears began to run down.

"So, you are leaving to Florence, and you tell me a week earlier?" Sebastian questioned standing up. He couldn't believe it.

"You did the same."

"Anna, don't." He ran his hands over his face. "We were meeting each other. Now we are dating."

"I told you that things were getting harder and harder. The goodbyes are." She exclaimed and stood up same as him. "I've been waiting for you to come home and holding on here in New York just because you said you were coming home earlier, and it was bullshit."

"Do you really think that I want to be away from you? Do you think that I haven't noticed that you don't even say that you love me? Because I'm not a fool."

"I can't give you more of my soul, Seb. I just can't." She sobbed exclaiming. "You have it all for you now. And I don't want to make this harder that already is."

"So, you want to break up." He mumbled. She gazed him.

"I would never want that, Seb." She mumbled and walked towards him. "I didn't tell you because I want to enjoy at least this week we have. You need to focus on your career. I promise and swear to you that when I'm back, we'll talk."

He couldn't help himself but embrace her. He just cried over her shoulder and stood there for a few, trying to imagine it was kind of a nightmare and that he would wake up when he wanted. But it wasn't a nightmare. It was real life.

"Seb, stop crying, come on." Anna said with cracked voice. "You'll be okay."

"I won't." He sobbed. "I need you."

"One day this will be over. I swear it is not so far away."

"Anna..." He looked up at her and shook twice, kissing her after that.

"You are going to be okay. You've got a lot of things and people in your life."

"But not everything is that. If I don't have you, what's the meaning then?" He questioned. His eyes watered. "You say I have to focus on my career. You say that when you are finished in Florence, we will talk. But what if you find someone else? What if something bad happens? What?"

"I always keep my promises. You are aware of that." She replied. But she knew he was right. That was a fear she had and sooner or later, that could happen.

"Promises break before they are made."

"I can't give you what you need right now, Seb. I need to forgive myself."