Chapter 65 - News Travels Fast (4)

AC 3000, 8th month, 10th day, 3 days after the Cardinal assault on the bandit residence in Acorn, inside a partially trashed meeting room in the bandit hideout located approximately 30 miles north of Hill City in the area known as the northern hills.

"So" said Francis, a greyish-blond haired man in his late fifties, the boss of the bandit organisation and also its most powerful member.

"What are our losses?"

"Ahem, well" began a green robed old man, clearing out his throat.

"As you well know, three days ago, the Cardinals attacked our site in Acorn. Naturally, the forces there have already been eliminated, though some of the personnel weren't present at the time and were thus able to escape unscathed" he said, stopping as Francis waved his hand to cut him off.

"The Acorn site is of little consequence. Its two strongest members were only at the 7th level of qi expansion and it only had a smattering of mid and low level expansionists. The only person of true note from there was Duncan, but even then, a dead genius is no genius at all"

"Ah, actually, Duncan is in the Forest at the moment, tempering himself and improving his arts" said the green robed old man.

"Oh. I see. Good. Then we can at least salvage the most valuable asset we had there. Make sure to recall him. I want to bring him into the fold"

"Into the core of our group?" asked the green robed old man.

"Yes" replied the boss.

"Is that really wise? Someone of such common birth and no prior affiliation with us" said a silver haired man, voicing his discontent.

"It would not be the first time it's happened. Besides, there's no point wasting his talent by keeping him on the fringe of our operation, especially since he'll probably reach qi condensation in a few years anyway. When that happens, it'll be better if he already has a place in our core"

"Still" began the silver haired man before being cut off.

"Are you displeased with my decision Morgan?" questioned Francis in a raised voice, staring him down.

Morgan met Francis' gaze for a few moments before deciding to back down.

"No. Never mind" he said.

"Good. Now back to my question" said Francis, turning his gaze back the green robed old man.

"What are our losses? And never mind about the Acorn site. As we all know already, the Cardinal's left Hill City with their forces after it was hit. They clearly weren't doing this to attack the same place twice"

"Yes, quite" answered the green robed old man.

"Now then, where would you like me to begin?" he asked.

"Well, since you informed me when I first arrived that our main base of operations in the area, Grenple, has gone dark, start there; then give me an overview of our total losses" said Francis.

"Yes, of course" replied the green robed man, collecting his thoughts before speaking to the room.

"Now, considering the strength of the force that left Hill City three days, under the leadership of the Cardinal Clan's patriarch himself no less, as well as a story which has started making the rounds in Acorn, I believe it's safe to assume that Grenple base has suffered the same fate as Acorn, with all hands lost, not counting the few lucky survivors who may not have been there at the time. This would put our losses in personnel from Grenple at 2 Qi Condensation Warriors, over 100 Qi Expansionists and nearly 2000 Body Strengthening Cultivators" he said, causing a few of the people in the room to wince and have ugly looks on their faces. These were no small losses and although body strengthening cultivators could be easily replaced, the same could not be said for those of higher cultivation levels, especially those 2 Qi Condensation Warriors.