Chapter 49 - The Mimic Strikes Again

Early in the morning, a man in his late 30's, with short and slick black hair, blue eyes and a piercing gaze, made his way towards a large residence within the town of Acorn. This man's name was Alistair Richmond and he had been assigned to investigate the mimic attacks that were currently plaguing the town. His job, ultimately, was to track the mimic down and kill it.

By Alistair's side, he was accompanied by his younger assistant, a short ginger haired man by the name of Vincent who was struggling to keep up with Alistair's quick pace.

Just after the sun had risen, the two of them had been roused from a state of drowsiness and had to hurriedly dress themselves. They had been informed that the mimic had struck again and that this time it wasn't just some commoner who had been killed.

The sound of footsteps on stone could be heard as Alistair and Vincent hurried through the wide, stone-paved streets in the affluent part of town. Rounding a corner, the two of them saw numerous town and personal guards standing outside and around their destination, a large residence belonging to the powerful cultivator and merchant by the name of William Sinclair.

This recent attack boasted a fair amount of urgency for Alistair, because, it was this very person, William Sinclair, that was the victim of the attack. Being a very wealthy man and also a cultivator in the realm of qi condensation, the higher ups in the local government had attached a fair amount of importance to it. Of course, they were attaching a fair amount of importance to all of the mimic attacks, but, some people are considered as more important and deserving of attention. After all, the local government was able to turn a profit from his business and because he was a powerful cultivator, he would play a vital role in the town's defenced should it ever be attacked, by either qi beasts or people.

Furthermore, disregarding the fact that William Sinclair's family held enormous wealth and did big business in the town, the man's wife was also a cultivator in the realm of qi condensation. They all wanted answers and they all wanted the mimic to be caught and killed.

It wouldn't do to dawdle when such a family and such a woman were left in an upset state. There might not be much trouble from the economic side of things, after all, it's not like the family would hurt their own interests by stopping their business, however, who knows what an upset woman in the realm of qi condensation would do. If she acted out, it could cause massive damage.

Alistair and Vincent approached and then entered the Sinclair estate, passing by the guards who recognised the two from their previous investigations.

Just after steeping into the front courtyard of the Sinclair estate, an older man, looking to be in his late 40's or early 50's greeted them. He was the head steward of the estate and had been waiting for the two of them ever since he had first sent word to the governor's office.

"Are you the investigators?" he asked.

"Yes. I'm Alistair Richmond and this is my assistant Vincent. We're here to investigate the attack" said Alistair matter of factly, getting straight to the point.

"Yes, I've been waiting for you. Please, come in" said the steward, directing them to follow him.

"Lead the way to his body first. I'd like to see the scene before I start questioning people" instructed Alistair.

"Yes, of course. Will do" responded the steward as they entered the lavish building in front of them.

"Can you tell me what happened last night?" Alistair asked the steward, as they started ascending a flight of stairs.