Chapter 59 - Marauder Wasps (2)

While all of fighting on Adam's side was happening and progressing smoothly, things had not gone as well on Tom's side. When the wasps had drawn in close, they buzzed around in all directions, making it hard to target them effectively and the opening kills that Harrison and Pike had managed to score when first contact was made, paled in comparison to what Adam's group had achieved. The reason for this disparity of course, being that one group had two qi expansionist warriors whilst the other had none.

Just after Pike had managed to earn the first two kills with the swing of his glaive and Harrison had killed another that had flown towards him head on with a simple downward slash from an overhead defensive stance, the wasps had scattered in all manner of directions, moving in-between them at high speed and attacking from multiple directions.

Tom, who was standing at the back of his group, witnessed as the small horde of Marauder wasps broke apart and began circling the others, darting here and there and launching unpredictable attacks at irregular intervals, sometimes individually and at others times, in concert with their brethren. However, these wasps obviously wouldn't just start attacking the others while attacking the others. After the initial few kills that Harrison and Pike got, they were still outnumbered at a little over 3 to 1 and some of the Marauder wasps naturally made their way past the others and towards Tom.

Seeing Marauder wasps flying towards him, Tom quickly raised his shield in front of his face as one of them darted forward, targeting his head. Just after, Tom heard a pin-point noise on his shield and chuckled, considering it funny, as when he looked, he saw the wasp that attacked him had gotten its stinger stuck and was desperately beating its wings to fly off again but to no avail.

The wasp being right there and unable to move, Tom simply swiped his sword down the front of his shield, earning an easy kill. Next, he quickly made a flick of his hand, seeing another wasp speeding towards him out of the corner of his eye. Tom's fast reaction time and quick movement proved too much for the attacking wasp as it was heavily injured and fell to the ground, only to be subsequently crushed underfoot when Tom stomped on it to end its life.

Tom's attention however was brought to the front again when he heard a loud and pained yell. Looking up, he saw Bartholomew with one wasp on his leg and another on his chest, both of them having managed to sting him, causing him no small amount of pain.

Gritting his teeth and working through his way through the pain, Bartholomew tightened his grip on his weapon as hard as he could and swung it down with one arm past his leg, easily cleaving through the Marauder wasp that was still resting there. Then, he moved his free left hand to grab the wasp that was still on his chest and crushed it in his hand. The way its legs squirmed and juices oozed from it when doing this, looking and no doubt feeling, disgusting. Finally, to finish all this off, while yelling out a battle cry, partly due to the pain he was experiencing and partly in anger, Bartholomew lifted his axe up and holding it in two hands, swung it like a bat at an approaching Marauder wasp, the two large blades on either side of it proving effective for this as he was able clip the head of the wasp and send it spiralling to the ground.

Unfortunately, when Bartholomew yelled out in pain, it didn't just attract Tom's attention and was soon followed by a large grunt from Harrison, who, due to being momentarily distracted, ended up getting stung in the back. He, not being able to strike at the wasp on his back, which was just out of his reach, was fortunately helped by Pike, who swung down his glaive as Harrison stood perfectly still, bearing the pain much better than Bartholomew.

After this brief period of respite however, where Tom was able to safely watch what was happening to the others, he had to refocus on the battle. Although he and the others were making good progress, they weren't doing nearly as well as Adam's group, with a fair few wasps still buzzing about, the battle far from over.