Chapter 46 - Rowan Leaves

Tom and company proceeded on their way towards the town of Acorn. As they suspected, it got dark before the left the forest. Travelling along, they were subjected to hoots and howls of qi beasts in the distance, but, since they were nearing the periphery of the forest they knew that they were unlikely to encounter any powerful qi beasts and none of the qi beasts that had set eyes upon them attempted an attack.

By the time they exited the forest and arrived at the town, the town gates were already shut. Having no other recourse, Tom and the others, the two Iron Fist sect disciples included, camped out on the eastern side of the town. They hadn't actually brought tents with them but luckily there were people there who made a living by selling or renting such goods.

The next day, early in the morning, when the town gates opened, Tom and the others entered the town. Their first order of business was to go to the Cardinal clan's trading post and caravan service that was located in the town so they could secure the transfer and delivery of the qi beasts they had collected to Hill City. The two Iron Fist sect disciples however were planning to go to the local governors building to inform them of the mimic activity they had witnessed in the forest, not that they would do much about it anyway.

Coincidentally, when Tom and Rowan made their way over to the Cardinal clan's business in Acorn town, with bodies laden up on their wagon and several of the guards carrying the blue devil beetle over their heads, they encountered both Daniel and Adam.

"Wow, that's quite a haul" said Daniel, a bit envious. He'd never brought back a bounty as impressive as Tom and Rowan had just brought back.

[God damn, his first day out and he already brings this much back. Just how lucky is Tom? No, that's wrong. It'll be because of Rowan. Yes, that's right. They never would have brought that much back if it weren't for Rowan. Tom himself probably didn't do much. He's still far behind me. No competition at all. No worries]

"Hah, thanks" Rowan chuckled cheerily.

"So this is what you ran off for" Adam said, glancing over the corpse of the blue devil beetle and giving a little smile.

"Yeah" said Rowan while patting the body of the beetle.

"I plan to get some armour made from it"

"It looks like you'll have a lot of material left over. I'm impressed that you were able to grab one this big. They have pretty hard shells, must have been difficult to bring down"

"Actually, it was Tom that brought it down in the end" said Rowan, giving credit where credit was due.

"Wow" Adam said shocked and then looked over at Tom.

His surprise was understandable considering the size of the beetle and the fact that Tom was only at the 5th level of body strengthening. It must be known that the larger a blue devil beetle grows, the harder its exoskeleton becomes and the more difficult it is to kill. Even Ray and Lance, both at the 7th level of body strengthening, only caused it superficial damage. If it was just a young one then Adam would have understood but Tom taking down a one this big was truly surprising.

"How on earth did you do that?" he asked, partly in disbelief and partly in genuine intrigue at how Tom had accomplished such a feat.

"Everything has a weakness Adam, it's just about finding and taking advantage of it" Tom explained to Adam while having an air of seniority.

"Stabbed it in the mouth" Avery spoke up to explain.

"Ahh" Adam said in understanding.

"Well it was not just that. He jumped on its back and glued it wings open with the slime from a giant velvet worm" said Rowan, giving further praise.