Chapter 52 - Red Skinned Boars (1)

Tom looked at the two Red Skinned Boars in the distance and took in their appearance. They each, as their name implied, had red skin and they also each sported a pair of impressively large tusks, which they would use to gore any opponents. Tom could also clearly see that one of them was larger than the other, standing at around 5 and a half foot tall, with the smaller of the two having a total height of just under 5ft.

The size of qi beasts, within each individual species, was generally a good indicator of their level of strength and the appearances of the two boars indicated that the larger of the two could exert a strength rivalling that of a peak body strengthening human expert, while the smaller of the two was likely only comparable to a late stage body strengthening expert of the 9th level.

Tom was able to make this assessment of the two Boars because of the records he had read in the Cardinal clan. Before he had come out here, he had read up on many, not all, but many of the qi beasts that were commonly found in the outer area of the forest, including details about the Red Skinned Boars. This was why he was able to judge their approximate strength at a distance without first getting close and sensing the qi from their bodies.

However, Tom knew though that although size was generally a good indicator of a beast's strength, especially since most beasts would naturally grow stronger as they grew older and then hit a peak, it certainly shouldn't be used to guess the strength of qi beasts one didn't know anything about. This was because although it was a good indicator for each individual species that a person knew about, size didn't always denote actual strength.

Humans were a good case in point for this. The mature Blue Devil Beetle that Tom had encountered on his last trip into the forest could only exert a bit over 8,000 jin of force, while Rowan, with her comparatively smaller body could exert a force of 10,000 jin. Likewise, this can also be seen in the human population at large. People of the same height and weight would have drastically different strength based on their cultivation level, for example, a non-cultivator and someone at the peak of body strengthening.

Of course, regardless of the physical strength a creature was capable of because of the qi it had infused into its body to strengthen itself, the weight of the creature would also play a role in the force behind its blows, so, a larger and heavier creature would still have more force behind it should it hit into you.

"So, what do you think? Do you reckon you can take one of them on?" asked Adam in anticipation.

Adam had been wanting to fight a qi beast with Tom for some time now and now the opportunity had finally presented itself. Of course, considering the gap in their cultivation levels, anything that Tom was able to fight against would be something that he would be able to easily take down, so, the idea of them fighting together was a little bit farfetched.

Nevertheless, if there were multiple qi beasts, it would still be like they were fighting together and if there were stronger qi beasts, he could still provide Tom with cover, interfering if he was in mortal danger. Furthermore, he could always just refrain from using any qi techniques. He would still be four levels higher in terms of body strengthening when compared to Tom, but, they would be much closer in terms of strength and fighting ability. Plus, such a thing wasn't exactly an insurmountable gap; there were many cases of people slaying others that had a higher cultivation level than them, especially in the first realm of cultivation.

Actually, across essentially all the realms of cultivation, there were people that were able to kill others that had a higher cultivation than themselves. After all, it wasn't just about having power, it was also about how that power was applied. This was why many people, at least in the north of the Mantal Kingdom, recognised that they shouldn't be too cocky or arrogant about their own cultivation level and should always be wary of those a couple of levels below them and especially those that were older and more experienced than them.