Chapter 4: The Discovery

Why am I going to school again? I still feel like crap.

This was my first thought of the day. I still don't know why I went to school that day. Was it some weird sort of responsibility that I felt I had? I guess I had my A levels quite soon after that. Either way, I was quite disorientated as I got up that morning. Which probably made what happened next even more freaky.

I rolled out of bed, turning off my phone alarm. I put some sweatpants on and walked into the corridor. 

"Sarah! Time to get up!" I called as I walked past her bedroom, not too loudly though, mum was still sleeping.

"Go away Will!" She shouted back.

I drowsily stumbled down the stairs on my way to make a cup of tea and some toast. Up to this point, everything had been normal routine as I walked on auto pilot. However it was at this point that things got weird. 

I reached toward my kettle to put water in it and it moved. Don't get me wrong, this is a total normal occurrence when I was touching it. However, I wasn't touching it. In fact, it moved away from my hand. And kept moving every time I tried to grab it. 

I rubbed my eyes. Then pinched my arm. Then slapped myself in the face. That should have done it, I would have woken up if I was asleep or sobered up if I was drunk; though I couldn't remember drinking in the five minutes I was awake. Or doing any drugs. And I think I would have remembered. 

After this I was able to pick up the kettle. Feeling strangely proud of having control over my body again I smiled and filled the kettle up and turned it on. However as I turned around to open my cupboard and get a mug out of it, a closed cupboard waiting to be opened wasn't what I saw. Instead, my favourite cat cup was hovering in front of me. 

I stared at it, trying to get a grasp of what was happening. It wasn't moving. In fact it was very still. The bulbous eyes of the cat on this mug seemed to be staring at me as it it was saying: Yeah, I'm floating. So what? It was mesmerising and the entire world seemed to stop as I looked into the eyes of the cat cup.

"What the ACTUAL fuck?!" Yep that broke the moment. Sarah's voice was what seemed to pierce through this peacefulness and made me jump a foot into the air. Unluckily, as I was ascending into the air, the cat cup descended quite rapidly towards the floor and smashed into three clean pieces. In that moment, my panic was replaced by sadness as I bent to collect the pieces of my favourite cat cup that I had just shared a connection with.

"Will. What. Have. You. Done." Sarah insisted with quite a scary voice.

"Nothing Sarah. It's nothing."I replied as I started to search for the super glue to see if I could fix the cup.

"Nothing?!" It was at this point that we heard the whistle of the kettle signalling it had boiled. I couldn't help but think that it was quite coincidental that the kettle's water seemed to boil at the same time as Sarah's anger. "That was not nothing! The cup was floating! And what are you doing?" She paused just in time for me to cut my finger on one of the sharp edges of the cup and immediately stick it into my mouth as I groaned in pain. "Trying to fix the broken death cup that you were floating in mid air? How are you not freaked out by this?"

She had a point, I just really don't think it had sunk in at this point. Besides, she was so sure that I had caused this, our gravity could have just be collapsing and it could have been the end of the world as we knew it. So I told her as much and she groaned in frustration. She walked out of the room. I figured that I had to have won this argument so I started making my tea with another cup. I turned around to get some milk, just in time to see one of her heels flying full force towards my face. I threw my hands up to protect my face and the shoe stopped in its tracks. 

"Awesome." I say as I drop my hands to my side and the shoe also falls to the ground. I looked up to see my sister with crossed arms and one eyebrow raised.

"Oh. Does this mean I'm a super hero? Because I've kinda broken the first rule of super heroism: don't let people find out about your powers." I said and paused for a second. "Also, I kinda have my A Levels. I've got homework and revision to do, I can't be a super hero too."

Sarah sighed and face palms. "No idiot, it just means you probably have a weird mutation or something. However you should probably keep it silent like you would if you were a super hero. I doubt you would want to have people dissect you to understand what causes... you."

"Yeah, I think I would like to forget that this ever happened. I really don't need this in my life." I said agreeing with her.  

"Well that's going to be difficult seeing as you probably don't have control yet. Why am I the only one here who has any common sense? Either way you probably shouldn't go to school today." She told me defiantly.

"I'll be fine Sarah. If it is me I'm sure I will be able to control myself." I replied. 

"Right, of course you will be. ARE YOU AN ACTUAL IDIOT? I can't believe I thought you were smart. Oh whatever, go and get dissected." She said as she threw her hands up into the air and then immediately walked out.

I continued to make my breakfast, wary of flying shoes. I then went to get dressed and pack my bag because I would be fine at school no matter what Sarah seemed to think. 

"Come on! It's time to go!" I shout up the stairs and then checked the bus times on my phone. "The bus is coming in two minutes!" 

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" Sarah said as she came flying down the stairs, bag in one hand and hair tie in the other. We both ran out the door shouting "Bye!" to our mum who was probably still sleeping inside. We sprinted to the bus stop just as the bus was pulling up, clambered on tapping our passes in and sat right at the back.

As we were both catching our breath as Sarah turned to me and said, "If I see anything strange happening today, I am making you go home straight away."

As it happens, this didn't take to long.

"Lad! How have you been? Feeling any better than yesterday?" Tom said in greeting when I walked into our form room.

"Yeah a little better, still got a headache but nothing that I can't deal with." I replied to him. Grant then walked in the room with Sam. 

"Hey Tom, hey Will." He said to the both of us as they sat down next to us.

"Will, I heard what happened. I hope your feeling better." Sam said to me.

"Thanks Sam." I replied as I tucked my hair behind my ear.

"hey, nice nail polish. Where'd you get it?" She said when she caught sight of my hand. Ah, I forgot to get Sarah to take it off after she put it on me.

"Woah dude. Nail polish? You already have long hair, what's next?" Tom laughs.

"Fuck off. Sarah just wanted to try out her new nail polish. Also, I like my hair. It's a lot less expensive when you don't have to get hair cuts every month." I glared at him.

"Didn't you grow your hair because your sister wanted to try out new hair styles on you? You let her do too much to control your life." Tom responded. Sarah had told me to grow out my hair as a trade off for her to play video games with me. She said that if she was going to share my hobbies, I had to share hers and if I didn't like it I could always cut it. It turned out that I liked my hair long. 

However, at this point I was starting to get more angry and self conscious. I glared at him and crossed my arms. What happened next wasn't dramatic. All that happened was that the drawstrings on his hoodie were slowly getting tighter and they were slightly floating. He started to clear his throat and pull on the neck of the hoodie.

"Will!" Came the stern voice of my sister from the doorway of the room. The drawstrings of the hoodie dropped as I looked at her. "Mum called, get your arse over here." She stated.

"I'm going to see what she wants." I said to the three of them who were looking quite confused as to what was happening.

I went out of the room. "We're going home." She stated and I nodded. I don't know what came over me but I need to control this.