Chapter 2: The Beginning

"And this concludes the tour. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we'll all be over there" One of the university professors told us before walking off to join the rest of the professors.

"Right, I hope you all enjoyed yourselves. We have half an hour before we go. Like the professor said, you can go ask questions or just sit in the cafe and get something to drink until we need to go." Mrs Mill said before she also sauntered off to join the other teachers.

"Oh my god. Mrs Mill is such a MILF, she almost made this trip interesting." Tom said. 

"I'm pretty sure that sentence made me throw up a little in my mouth." I replied. "But, yeah. I agree this was one of the most boring places we've been to in this school. This solidifies the fact that I'm definitely not coming here for uni seeing as the computer science lectures are  this boring." Not that I could get into this school but it was worth hoping right? 

"Whatever, do you two losers want anything to drink? I want a coffee and Costa is just over there." Grant asked looking uninterested by the conversation we were having.

"Yeah, get me a tea. I'll pay you back later." I answered while crossing my fingers behind my back. What were friends for if not exploitation? 

"Nah thanks mate." Tom said. Grant nodded and walked off. Tom turned towards me. "They should have free refreshments for visitors. That might convince me to come here because that tour certainly didn't. They need geniuses like me." 

"Genii?"

"What?"

"I just thought that might be the plural of genius. I don't actually know." I explained. "Also, why are you under the impression that you are a genius? Yeah right. I'd love to see you try and get into this school. I can feel my IQ getting lower as I talk to you." I was teasing. Tom could probably get into this university and he knows it, he's not lazy like me or Grant. 

"Well at least I have luck with girls. Have you ever dated? No. The only reason any girls are interested in you are those baby blues and dark hair. As soon as they look past that they see a lanky body with a shitty personality and they run away." Tom said while pouting. Ouch, that hurt. I didn't think I was unattractive, I could date; I just didn't want to. Also what made Tom think that girls were better than getting into a good university? Tom was slacking with his comebacks that day.

"Alright, you're bringing out the big guns today." I chuckled. "Truce? We're at the risk of sounding like a married couple." I couldn't be bothered to continue with this. Tom was just retaliating to my teasing. 

"Truce." Tom said looking pleased with himself. He obviously thought he had won this argument so I decided to let him have this one. I looked around at the area I was in. There were a load of our teachers standing in one corner with a couple of the university professors. The few university students milling about were in little groups eating or reading. Me and Tom were sitting on a blue bench that was harder than it looked and the rest of the school students were either in the coffee shop or also dotted around in little groups. It was a comfortable silence that we were in. The type of silence you could only get through years of friendship. Sam, who was just in the coffee shop came out and walked towards us.

"Grant's just coming, he's getting some milk and sugar." She told us. Sam then looked over towards one of the groups of professors where two men were standing and arguing. One looked quite young while the other looked like he was about to keel over at any moment. "What do you think they are arguing about?"

"I don't know. Could be anything. Wait, what's that in his hand?" I asked. The young professor was holding a test tube in his hand which was containing a yellowish substance.

"It looks like piss." Tom replied. Sam made a face at him but I thought it was a reasonable enough assumption. Suddenly the younger professor pushed the older professor and stormed away from him. Unfortunately, away from the professor seemed to be toward us which he was approaching at an alarming speed. This also happened to be at the same time Grant was walking towards us while he was juggling a tea, a coffee and what looked to be Sam's frappuccino. They collided but because Grant happened to be a lot bigger than this professor, the professor sprawled to the ground throwing the test tube and whatever was in it, into the air, making it spill everywhere.

"NO!" The professor shouted as he quickly got up and looked at the mysterious liquid and broken test tube that was all over the floor. Then his gaze slowly turned towards Grant. "You." His face seemed to be turning a bright purple while his fists were shaking by his side. Weirdly though, nothing else happened. He just stormed off towards the door he seemed to have been heading towards before. Grant silently handed me my tea and Sam her frappuccino. I took a sip of my tea, which tasted absolutely nothing like tea, and immediately threw it out into the bin that was next to the bench we were sitting on.

"Oh my god, I think some of that liquid got into my drink. It's disgusting." Grant and Sam quickly followed and threw theirs out, not wanting to risk it.

"Mate! You just drank pee!" Tom yelled while laughing his arse off. I scowled at him but before I could retort, the young professor burst out of the door he went threw before. It seems I was right when I thought that it was weird nothing happened when the man seemed so angry because he was now storming towards Grant, holding a gun.

"HOLY SHIT!" Grant exclaimed when he caught sight of what was happening.

"Holy shit indeed." The professor said. "THAT WAS TWO YEARS OF MY LIFE THAT IS NOW DOWN THE DRAIN. GOD! I SHOULD NEVER HAVE JOINED THIS TEAM!" 

"Jesus Christ. This has gone from 0 to 100 real quick." Tom said. At this point pretty much everyone, in the vicinity, was screaming. Me and Tom, who were fearing for our lives despite not having the gun pointed at them, stopped, dropped and rolled away from what was happening, dragging Sam with them who had frozen from shock at this scene. I looked to the sky and sent out a quick prayer for Grant and crossed my chest seeing as there was no way I was interfering in this. 

"This research has RUINED MY LIFE! I lost my wife, I no longer have custody of my kids and little shits like YOU seem to not take anything into consideration! And now, all my sacrifices are for NOTHING!" The professor screamed, his face getting more and more purple. Suddenly, tears started streaming down his face. "All I wanted from life was to invent something amazing and good but all people seem to want to do is twist everything I do into something evil, even my own team." While he was monologuing, his shooting arm was slowly descending and his grip was loosening. Sam, who seemed to have come back to the real world, was starting to look really angry.

"Sam, you alright?" Tom asked. She slowly got up, braced herself and suddenly darted towards the professor, rugby tackling him to the ground. The professor was so surprised that his let go of his slack grip on the gun and Grant shot forward, picking it up. At this point the security guards who were waiting for an opportunity, rushed to the professor handcuffing him while Sam got up, high-fived Grant, hugged him and promptly told him off for getting himself into this stupid situation. 

Press immediately came out of nowhere and crowded Grant and Sam. Police came rolling down the road and the professor was stuffed into the back of a police car. However, now that the adrenaline was wearing off, I noticed I was feeling rather ill. My head was pounding and my heart seemed to be going a mile a minute. "Hey, Tom? I think I'm going to leave. Are you coming?" I said when he turned to Tom.

"Are you kidding me? I'm going to get in on this action. Girls will be flocking to me when they see the situation I was in." Tom stated proudly. I felt too ill to remind Tom that nothing much actually happened and that Sam and Grant were the actual heroes of that day, also, didn't Tom say he had a girlfriend? I just gave Tom a thumbs up and started walking towards the underground station to go home. However I was only about half way there until I started swaying and everything went black.