Been Here All Along, So Why Can't You See?

Caitlin Snow and Barry Allen were walking home together after school just talking about their day. They had been best friends ever since they were freshman and now they were seniors in their last year of high school. They were having a great time together, laughing and joking until Barry's phone began to ring.

"Hey babe, yes I know. Look, I'm sorry, okay! Are you ever gonna let this go?! You know what, we will talk about this later!" he answered the phone. It must have been Iris West his girlfriend the most obnoxious, preppy, cheerleading, mean girl in the school. Caitlin just stood there awkwardly in the background not knowing whether to say anything. She knew that she could treat him so much better than Iris West ever does. Because she loves him.

Of course, he had no idea that his best friend was in love with him and she thought it better to keep it that way. Caitlin had been in love with Barry ever since freshman year and had never stopped. They met on the first day of school and only a few months later Caitlin realized that she loved him as more than friends and was going to tell him that exact same day and hopefully he felt the same way. It was a risk but she had to do something about her feelings otherwise she could miss her chance and some other girl would take him. And that's exactly what happened.

That same day, right before Caitlin told him that she loved him, Barry told her that he was dating Iris West. He broke her heart. But still, to this day she never tells him how she feels because if they can't be more than friends then she would take what she could get and preserve their friendship for as long as possible. But Caitlin had no idea at that time how awful Iris truly was. She treated Barry horribly and was horrible to her and everyone else. Caitlin knew that he belonged with her but he was too blind to see how she felt and that she could be so much better to him than Iris ever could. But three years on he still had no idea how she felt and he was still stuck in this toxic, claustrophobic relationship that she knew that he hated but for some reason, he stayed with her hoping that one day things between them would change.

"What is so she upset about?" Caitlin asked innocently, trying to sound supportive but not showing her feelings towards him or Iris herself. She hated Iris and she knew that Iris hated her too. For all the time she spent with Barry and how close and inseparable they are. She wasn't sure and had no real proof of this but Caitlin suspected that Iris knew about her feelings for Barry. It was a worrying thought because she might tell Barry to separate them and then where would that leave her? But she hasn't said anything which is what's important. She just hoped that this mutual silence between the two secret rival females would continue.

"Just some stupid joke that some guys on the track team made about her and I laughed and she just got really mad for some stupid reason. I feel like she can't ever take a joke. She shouldn't take everything so seriously because it gets on my nerves all the time. I feel like her pet who has to come at her beck and call and wait on her hand and foot. When we first started dating I had no idea she would be so controlling. She also doesn't want me to hang out with you anymore but I wouldn't leave you for the world. Not for anyone. She wants me to be with her all the time and it's infuriating, I control my own life. Not her..." he paused for a moment. "Thank you though. I know I shouldn't always be complaining and venting about her to you but you always listen to me. You really are my best friend, Cait," 

Friend. Ouch. 

"You are my best friend too, Bar," she replied. "I wish you were more," she whispered under her breath just low enough so he couldn't hear.

"What?"

"Nothing!" she exclaimed. "I mean, it was nothing," she blushed, letting her hair out from behind her ear to hide her blush and looking down at the floor. She didn't mean for him to hear anything but she couldn't help but say it. She knew that she treat him so much better. She just wanted to scream out the words 'I love you' just to see what his reaction would be, to see whether he felt the same way. But if he did why would he stay with Iris for this long? Maybe he was scared too. She could only hope as she had no idea what to do with herself right now.