Returned But Altered

"Sadie, Im going on break, cover my shift please?" said her new co-worker. "Whatever floats your boat Jace."

He left and she sat and waited. It was the slower part of the day, not many would be passing through. She thought about what happened two months ago. Steven came back with news of Lars being a hero, but not bringing back the lanky boy. He said he had to stay on Homeworld and would be saved soon. She laid her head on the counter. He was just left there. No. He chose to stay. She felt the pit in her stomach. He wasn't just being a hero, he couldn't face her. No. Pull it together.

"He wants to be home with you more than anything." Steven told her when he first came back. "And I will bring him home to you."

She looked up as the bell on the door chimed, and her eyes widened to the size of saucers. He stood in the doorway, a small curly haired boy behind him as he walked in. He was torn up, his shirt a mess, a cut on his chest, a scar running down his eye, his entire body covered in a layer of thin, fine dust. She noted that he bared a striking resemblance to her boyfriend. Except for the pink. His body was a hue of pink, his hair tinted to a lighter variant. He looked at her as she stared back as if she'd seen a ghost.
"Lars?"
"Sadie. It's me. I'm home."

She felt the tears well up in her eyes and she ran to him, hugging him tighter than anything.

"YOU GOD DAMN- "

He kissed her. He let her hit him in the arm and continue to lecture him, he didn't care, he was back home with her, with his family, his friends.

After a very interesting reunion she just had to ask. "Why are you pink?"