Nehalerim

~38~

The entrance to the caverns was hidden through a pass that involved a lot clambering over rocks and climbing up rock walls. I was rather proud of myself that I could keep up with the vampyres over this stretch of the journey, though I did wonder how the Breeders managed to force Hunter through here.

A wooden set of bars had been nailed to all sides of the entrance, though recently been cut through and cast aside; no doubt by the humans. Anthreft perched on one of the rocks whilst Pavarni jumped down and peered into the tunnel, which led directly downwards. I clambered down after her and glanced over her shoulder down the steep and narrow steps into a shadowed tunnel that showed no end.

“I leave you here, Alexia,” Anthreft said from his perch. “But I wish you both the best of luck, and I hope you find and retrieve your friend. I’ll have Arama keep a look-out for you.”

“Thank you,” I replied. “We’ll be returning at some point, no matter how long.” The confidence in my voice surprised me.

He gave me a polite nod and a smile before jumping back over the rock and out of sight. The light here was feeble and I could barely make out Pavarni’s silhouette as she scrabbled through a pile of small rocks to the left of the cavern entrance.

“What-?” I began to ask, but a loud bash of rock on rock made me jump and a spark jumped from the mountainside. She caught it on an unlit torch she’d produced from nowhere and flames sprang up on one end. Her blank expression reflected the orange glow as she looked to me without a word, silently asking my consent.

I nodded, somewhat nervously, and she stepped into the tunnel, noting the steepness of the steps and taking them cautiously.

I kept close behind her, trusting that she was strong enough to keep upright if I slipped. The flames of the torch didn’t extend light very far down the stairway and even after the entrance was out of sight, the stairs still seemed endless. The dry stone walls and domed ceiling loomed on every side, making me feel claustrophobic.

We must have been descending for at least an hour before we reached the bottom and we stepped out onto a wide corridor of dull grey stone. Pavarni stopped suddenly and I had to catch myself on my toes to avoid running into her and inevitably touching her.

“Nehalerim Caverns,” she said, as if announcing it. “The longest caverns in Igrendem. At least they were, until half the tunnels started collapsing.”

“Are we safe?” I asked, my eyes wandering over the ceiling warily. Anyone much taller would have to crouch to avoid bashing their head against the many crevices in the rock. Pavarni said nothing and just shrugged, which didn’t inspire much confidence. She continued walking and I scurried after her.

Her pace was brisk, but slower than usual. Narrower corridors branched off from the main one and we peered down each one, trying to see as far as we could with the feeble light. Without consulting me, Pavarni swiftly continued down the tunnel, stopping every now and again at the sound of scurrying rats on the floor. The air was warmer than I was expecting and I loosened the fastening of my cloak.

“Keep close to my side,” Pavarni murmured in a low voice.

“We’re not safe,” I guessed, trying to keep my voice calm. “How do you know?”

“Not only is the air a lot warmer than it should be, there is no echo. Hadn’t you noticed?” I hadn’t, but now she’d made it obvious I could hear only the whisper of out footsteps and the occasional scurry of rodents. Almost as if we were walking above ground.

“Humans?” I whispered.

She paused before replying. “Oreikim.”

My blood cooled at her word despite the warm air. Her stride didn’t falter but her breathing was shallower than before. She constantly checked over her shoulder, peering round corners before allowing me to follow; whatever was happening she was clearly afraid of. For herself or for me, I wasn’t sure.