Witches

~35~

I was drowsy all morning as we rode towards Caduin at a walk, taking to the road. Czes’ tail was aptly bandaged to hide the lion’s appearance to it. Dalines had the hood of his cloak over his head and pulled low over his red eyes and I’d pulled the cloak tight around myself, trying to hide my tunic as best I could.

Even though she relied on normal food as much as I did, Pavarni showed no sign of hunger or discomfort, even though we hadn’t eaten in over a day. Dalines’ eyes continued to gleam from last night and I hoped my blood would last him until we parted ways; that way I wouldn’t have to donate again. Having a vampyre suck blood straight out of your veins was very uncomfortable and I wasn’t in any hurry to do it again.

“Who goes there?” a watchman called as we approached, a lantern in his left hand even though it was broad daylight, made even brighter by the sun glinting off the snow in all directions.

“We only wish to pass through,” Dalines said in a soft voice when were closer, picking up his regal accent again. “My servants and I are travelling towards Caebran, but we seek a place to rest for the rest of the day and night.” He kept his head low, the hood of his cloak engulfing his eyes and nose in shadow.

“Caebran?” the watchman repeated, frowning. “What do you want from there?”

“Our business is not for you to worry yourself with,” the Prince told him firmly. When the watchman began to protest, her jerked his head up and pulled his hood back just enough to show off his red eyes and sandy hair.

The watchman, startled, stood straighter and spluttered an answer. “Y-yes, of course, Prince Dalines! P-please enter, I hope o-our hospitality suits you well…” The Prince pulled his hood back down and nodded curtly to the man, gesturing for me and Pavarni to ride on. The unicorn rode right past the watchman, who seemed oblivious to the long horn protruding from the animal’s forehead. Pavarni’s eyes lingered on the man longer than they needed to, only flickering up when Dalines began grumbling to himself.

“Babbling idiot,” he muttered.

“If showing who you are means we get easier access to everything, then why do you insist on having your hood up?” I asked, eyeing a young couple that were clearly courting.

“I can’t stand the attention,” he replied in a low voice.

“I find that hard to believe, Your Highness…”

“Hush!” he hissed, glancing around to make sure no one had heard me. I smirked. “Don’t even think about giving me away, or I won’t feel guilty in taking more blood from you, this time from your neck. Trust me; it will certainly be less pleasant for you; or more, depending on your point of view.”

I didn’t have any desire to know what he meant, so sobered up and turned my gaze forward. Dalines jumped from his mare’s back when we reached the square and tethered her to the post, which was otherwise unused.

Pavarni used a simple leather cord to loosely tie Czes to the post whilst I looped Salvador’s reins around it, Matador’s beside him. I caught her eyes darting to and from the tavern on our left as we waited for Dalines to tell us what to do. He caught one of Pavarni’s glances and marched towards the tavern. We trailed behind him.

As it turned out, the Prince had brought a considerable amount of money with him – for what reason, I didn’t know – and the stew that was brought to us was absolutely delicious. After weeks of living off cold food, the steaming plate that was placed before me was like a firefly in the fog. Pavarni ate hers slowly, though I could tell from the glint in her eye that she was enjoying it as much as I was.