Chapter 6

Part 1: April

Chapter 6

April 3rd. Thursday.

Tanaka and Yamaguchi arrived on campus early the next day. Some students gave Tanaka odd glances because of all the bandages on his visage as well as a temporary eye patch that covered up his black eye. When the duo stepped into classroom 2-C, several students gasped as their gazes fell upon Tanaka.

“What’s he doing here?”

“He didn’t disappear.”

“Huh? What happened?”

Both Tanaka and Yamaguchi ignored the whispering and sat down in their seats.

“I can tell them to shut up if you want,” offered Tanaka’s sister.

“No.”

The dog-eared teens fell silent.

The teacher arrived as soon as the bell rang, silencing the idle chatter of the students. “Good morning, class,” said Roku, sitting down at the teacher’s desk. He gave a glance at Tanaka. “Welcome back, Tanaka.”

“That Tanaka kid and the teacher both have eye patches…”

“Please take out your history books and turn to page 9. We will be continuing the review from yesterday.”

The lunch bell sounded, and everyone departed from the classroom. Before Tanaka left, though, Roku pulled him aside.

“You weren’t here yesterday, so I’ll just tell you now. All students are required to join a club by this Saturday, April 5th. Today, all approved clubs will be meeting to get new members to join. Sports clubs will be meeting on the track field outside. We have track, soccer, basketball, volleyball, tennis, and swimming. We also have a band club, drama club, and art club that meet in their respective rooms on the second floor. If you’re really into war, we have a military prep club that meets in the auditorium on the first floor.”

That’s a lot of clubs to choose from, Tanaka thought.

“When you make a decision, come to talk to me.”

Tanaka gave Roku a nod and met up with Yamaguchi outside the classroom.

“What’d he talk to you about?” asked the female, following her brother as they made their way downstairs.

“About clubs,” he responded.

“Oh, that. I’m thinking about joining soccer.” She grinned widely. “You should join me.”

“I want to check out every club before I make a decision,” said Tanaka.

“I’ll join whatever you join.”

When the school day ended, the duo first headed outside to where the track field was.

“Track looks like too much work,” Yamaguchi commented.

“You run anyways in soccer.” Tanaka shoved his hands into his uniform’s pockets.

“That’s because you have a goal: to kick the ball into your opponent’s net!”

They wandered over to where students were playing basketball on an outside court.

“That seems more of a sport for boys,” said Yamaguchi.

“Girls can play, too.”

“I’m too short.”

Tanaka rolled his eye and walked over to a volleyball court. By her expression, Yamaguchi seemed interested in the sport. Also observing the volleyball players was a girl with long, messy hair that stood next to Tanaka and Yamaguchi.