25

Water slowly came out of the tap, a sharp contrast to how fast my heart was beating.

Harry sat in the living room, back faced to me while sitting on the long, leather couch. He seemed extremely nervous when I let him in, rubbing the nape of his neck multiple times when I offered him something to drink.

Finally, the glass was filled to a decent amount, walking back into the living room, I handed the cup to harry which resulted in him shakily tipping it back. I decide to sit on the love seat across from him, instead of next to him because of the inevitable temptation it may bring.

I watched as his perfectly shaped lips found the rim of the glass, taking in the clear water before visibly gulping it down. We hadn't even began talking and I was already focused on his lips.

Harry cleared his throat, "So, I came here to tell you... Everything." He anxiously plays with the frayed holes on his jeans whilst talking, a habit I've never picked up on before.

"Before I tell you any of this, please keep in mind that all of this happened before I met you." He states, perhaps prolonging what is about to be said.

I lean back in the love seat while nodding my head, "I understand Harry, I just need to know what is going on." Hopefully he is reassured by my statement, I do really need to figure out what is so troubling in his life so I can help in any way possible.

"At the start of college, I'd just moved here. Absolutely no one knew who I was or anything, basically I was a nobody. I'd always go to the gym to get away and notice this dude watching me. One day we left at the same time and I watched as he got into the nicest car I'd ever seen. So, one day I struck up a conversation with him, finding out his name was Ed and he was a musician. Within a week we were friends, it was like we'd known each other our entire lives. Turns out, he was working for Nikolai. We were introduced, and bam. He proposed money, girls, and anything my heart ever desired if I did some very illegal things for him."

Harry paused to take a sip of water, running a hand through his hair after setting the glass back down.

"Basically, all I had to do was train and win a few fights. Once I actually became good, Nikolai realized he could make some ridiculous amount of money off me. So, he began to take seventy-five percent of my winnings and use it as a cover up for whatever other illegal shit he had going on behind the scenes. Then, my friend Ed got killed in some kind of shoot out, and damn was I devastated. He was my first friend here, more like a brother than anything else. After that I told Nikolai I wanted to quit, but you know what he did?"

"He put a gun to my head, and said that there was no way out anymore. That was around six months ago. Since Ed was gone, he needed someone new to transfer merchandise. He chose me of course, putting me deeper into this mess than ever before. God knows what is in the bags I have to deliver for him, I never actually check."

"And then there was you." He stopped for a moment, just smiling as if reminiscing over some memory, and boy was it contagious. "I'd never met anyone like you, and honestly I got caught up in it all. I began to become late for shipments, and Nikolai began to use you as leverage. That's what I was doing the other night at the bar, a delivery to a client. When I saw that guy coming onto you-" His hands clenched into fists, clearly still upset over what happened.

"I couldn't let anyone try to hurt you like that, ever. Then, once the boys finally got me to calm down, you were gone. I knew I'd lost you, and it was my own fault. Honestly, I'm scared you won't take me back. Never have I felt this way about someone emotionally, Leah. You're different to me, you're not just another girl at a party. At the same time I have this inner conflict that dragging you into my life, will threaten your safety as a whole."

He leans forward, elbows on his knees while dipping his head even lower. Never have I seen Harry this vulnerable, and it's honestly eye opening. He truly cares, despite what he's been going through lately. I finally decide to get up off the love seat, sitting besides Harry and putting my hand through his unruly curls. His head snaps up, clearly surprised by my actions, but then a jocular smile tugs his lips upwards.

"You'll protect me Harry, I can see it in your eyes." I raise my hand to his cheek, he stiffens at my touch but quickly gives in.

"I'd do anything for you." He says, and I know it is the truth just by how vindictive his voice is.

"No more secrets?" My hand moves to the collar of his shirt, resting there.

"What if I'm throwing you a surprise party or something?" Harry asks, causing both of us to laugh.

"Seriously though," I continue, not wanting to lose focus on getting back on the right track in our relationship.

"Zero secrets, nada. I'm an open book from now on, you can count on that." Harry says with a smirk, placing his hands on the small of my back and forcing us closer together. "Now can I please kiss you?" He doesn't even wait for my response before leaning in and pressing our lips together, reminding me of how good of a kisser he really is. His lips tasted of spearmint, like always.

Harry turned his head, deepening the kiss even further. An indescribable feeling played out within me, something that seemed to happen every time Harry's lips touched mine. It was as if a Chinese firecracker was set off inside, stemming from wherever our skin came in contact.

After becoming nearly out of breath, I pressed the palm of my hand against Harry's chest, "Let's take this slow."

He agreed, pulling away slightly so that our foreheads were still touching. "That has got to be the second thing I missed the most." He whispered, clearly referring to the short make out session we'd just had.

"What was the first?"

"You." He answered simply, a dimpled smile on his face.

(In honor of getting in the top 100 of fan fiction I've updated two days in a row!

Don't be a ghost reader, vote and comment! I try my best to reply to most of you so just leave you opinions on the book or chapter! Xo)