FORTY-TWO: PRIORITIES

Start from the beginning

I know for a fact that Han's right hand man hated me because I couldn't fight. He hated that I was soft, that I cannot hold my own in a fight, that I would always have to be protected and looked after. He hated that I was practically a burden, someone who would only drag the rest of them down. He has told me that in the face before, in those words. I kid you not, Christian is really straightforward and he doesn't care if you want to hear it or not, he'll let you know exactly how he feels.

"Has Father arrived?" Jared chose to ignore Han's remarks, instead redirecting everyone's attention away from me. Some gazes still lingered, but I'm pretty sure it's because Heath had me in his death grip, frowning at everyone else. 

Han shrugged and nodded, "He's inside with Dust and some old friends. Doesn't want to be disturbed until he calls for us." 

Jared nodded stiffly before turning around to look at me with furrowed brows. I swallowed nervously as I straightened up in Heath's protective side hug. The atmosphere around us was so serious that I could feel my instincts telling me to run out of this place if I could. 

"Even in here, you stick close to either of us. Don't trust anyone else, even if they are familiar people. Not even my men or Lewis' men. You stay right where we can see you. Do you hear me?" Jared asked quietly as he cupped my neck.

The warmth that spreads from his hands to my body comforted me and I nodded meekly. Strike out running away. I am as safe as I'm ever going to get here with Jared and Heath. 

"This is what you get for involving an innocent. You should have just stuck with those whores you've always had. Less trouble, more disposable." Han piped up from where he was standing, an annoying smirk on his face. 

I felt Jared's fingers twitch against my neck and I hurried to touch his waist to placate him. A fight with Han was not something that needs to happen now. There were more important things to think about. Namely Lewis's injuries, and the threat against the Family.

"Jer." I breathed, offering a weak smile as I fisted the fabric of his suit jacket to keep him from turning around and going after Han.

Jared stared at me with a tensed look on his face, his eyes calculating for several moments before he leaned down and kiss my forehead. 

I shuddered slightly, not expecting this soft behaviour from him.

Sure, he has always been like that in front of his own men. But now we were with many other people who have never seen him like that, or seen us so intimately together before. I was pleasantly surprised that Jared would choose to be so tender at a time like that.

"Nothing will happen to you. They won't get to you." Jared affirmed under his breath.

I could sense that he might be saying it more for himself to hear than for me to know. After all, he didn't need to say a word. I trusted him with my life. I know that if it really came down to it, he'll never let me get hurt. Not if he could help it anyway. 

"I know." I smiled weakly at him, "I trust you, and Heath." 

Jared nodded, turning to Heath with a look that clearly communicated that I was not to be left alone or to get hurt in anyway, or there will be hell to pay. 

"Jer..." I started, tugging on his arm to get his attention, "Shouldn't you both be wearing some protective gear too?" I ask hesitantly, "Everyone else seems suited up and ready for something bad to go down and the both of you are just strutting around in your favourite suits." I tried to lighten the mood with some humour, adjusting the lapels of his suit nervously.