Chapter 1 - My First Record

"Hello, my name is Julie, I live in Arizona, today is my sixteenth birthday and that's reason for getting you, Marlin", I said pointing to the video camera is was holding to my face. It has been a wish of mine for a long time now and finally I could start my video diary. "Julie!", I heard from the kitchen. "Your uncle is here!" I sighed, put the camera called Marlin named after my cat that died last year away and went downstairs. "Happy, happy birthday!", said my father's brother Louis and hugged me. "I'm off", I said to my parents and my two-year-old brother Leonard, who were still having breakfast.

---

"Here we are", said Louis and led me into the new studio. He worked at the Music-label Fueled By Ramen and signed mostly indie rock and pop musicians on. In the last months their new recording studio was planned, built and finally completed a few days ago. It was his birthday present for me to take me to work with him, to show me the whole recording studio and to finally record one song I have written by myself. I smiled, took my guitar case with me and stepped in. I was greeted by a big hall which led to several corridors. "Come over here." I followed my uncle into one corridor and then into one door on the right. The room was nearly completely filled by technical recording equipment from which I hardly knew anything. There was sitting his chef in person, Jeff Bhasker, who knew me a little bit. He greeted me and then looked back to the other room which was only separated by a big glass wall. In the other room were standing three guys around thirty, I guess. Two of them were standing in the back an just listening but one of them was standing in the middle and singing something about a immaterial thing. 'He has such a beautiful voice', I thought at once. 'It sounds like milk cream mixed with caramel.' We stood there a while and just listened to him singing. When he finished, Mr Bhasker pressed a button and told them to come over. They disappeared and showed up in our room a few seconds later. My Uncle introduced each other. The singer turned out to be Nate Ruess, one of the others was Jack Antonoff, a guitarist and the third played mostly the piano and the flugelhorn. Together they were a band called fun. who existed since 2009 and who are just recording their second album 'Some Nights'. Then they started to talk about the song, which was called 'All Alone'. In the conversation between the others I only stood beside, listened and felt a little bit stupid. I recognized how nice all of them were and they were one of the less celebrities who didn't seem to be arrogant at all. "Well, then Louis, go on. We have to get that ready today. Julie, you can stay and listen," Mr Bhasker told us finally. "Actually I wanted to record one song with my niece today", Louis told him. "I'm sorry, but you'll have to do that on another day. Beyoncé's manager called me earlier and told me she wants to record tomorrow and we need this studio then. So we really need to record this today. Sorry for you, Julie", Mr Bhasker said and went out. "You're singing, Julie?", I was asked by Mr Ruess." I looked at him and felt how I blushed. This always happens me in such situations and I hate it. "Well, yeah. And playing the guitar. But I'm not very good", I answered. "She is", my uncle told him at once. "Well, then we'd like to hear. Jeff can wait. I don't care if Beyoncé has to move her ass tomorrow", Mr Antonoff told us and everybody laughed. "Well, I guess I have to", I said and started to get my guitar out. I had never played in front of professional musicians so I was extremely excited. When I went over into the other room, I thought about the song I'd play. I decided to play 'Sight Of The Sun', which I wrote already about one year ago about my ex-boyfriend, who was actually a complete asshole, but I think the song is one of my best ones. I got myself a chair and placed in front of the microphone. My uncle nodded and I played the first chimes and started to sing.

---

When I finished they all clapped their hands. "Come over, that was great", Louis announced. I went over and was greeted by a flood of compliments, not only from my uncle, who has heard me often before, but also from the three fun.-guys. I blushed again and looked to the floor. "Hey, you don't have to be ashamed. Just be happy", Mr Ruess said and put his hand on my shoulder. I looked up and recognized he had the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen. They were mostly green, but also a little bit of something I can't name. Something like a rainbow. He realized what he has done, excused himself and stepped back. It was a weird moment when nobody said something until my uncle told us to start now, if they want to get the song finished.

---

It was now something like five, six hours later after recording the whole song including all instruments and the singing. We had a lot of fun while working and I had noticed how kind all the three of them were, but especially Nate was kind of cute. When we had just listened to the whole thing for the last time, Mr Bhasker came in again. "Are you ready?", he asked hopefully. My uncle nodded and played the song to him again. "I'll listen to the single components later again, but that sounds great. Thanks for your help, Julie", he said and went out again. "How about calling us by our fist names?", Mr Ruess asked me. I nodded for the five-hundredth time today and we shook hands again. "Then we'll drive back home, won't we?", Louis asked. "Yep", I said. An awkward silence followed between Nate and me, but we finally decided to hug than just to shake hands after spending so much time together. After hugging Jack and Andrew, too, we went out and walked to my uncle's car. "So? How was it?", He asked me. "Great", I said with a single big smile.