Chapter 9: Breakfast Time

*DREAM*

I was sitting on the piano bench, next to my mum, she was showing me the keys to play. It was a lullaby that she always played for me, she was humming the tune to herself.

"Here darling, hit this key right here." She instructed kindly. "That's a girl."

She said after I got it right.

"I did it mum!" I said excitedly, with a big smile. She laughed and smiled back. "I knew you could do it, all you needed was a push."

Suddenly the room turned dark, the lights flickered, and the door slammed shut. My mum wasn't bedside me anymore and I was sprawled on the floor with my father looming over me. "Nobody wants you. You are a freak, you shouldn't even exist, just like your mother. You killed her, you know. It's all your fault." He hissed in my ear.

I was crying, like I always did. Tears falling nonstop down my cheeks. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm sorry!" I yelled, I didn't even know what I was sorry for.

I felt the familiar sting of his fist against my face, again. Then the storm of nonstop blows that rained down on me. I saw the familiar blood on the once, polished kitchen floor. And all I could think of was: Why?

Until the blackness claimed me once more.

*END DREAM*

I woke up early because of my dream, with tears in my eyes. I wish he would just leave me alone, but I know that will never happen. I can't escape the pain he inflicted upon me.

All the other girls in my dorm were still sleeping, it was only 4:00 after all. I got up anyway and changed into my uniform.

My dorm had five identical beds that had red curtains, gold pillows, red covers, and white sheets. Each bed had a small table beside it for personal items, and there was a bathroom with five separate stations, one for each of us. The floors were dark brown and wooden. All in all, it had a comfortable feel to it, I loved it.

After I was ready, I went downstairs to the common room, and sat down on a couch in front of the fire. I watched the flames dance around, and took in the common room.

It was cozy. The room had a theme of red and gold, I mean almost everything was either red of gold. There was a variety of plushy armchairs and couches, and a window seat with a nice view of the grounds. Paintings and Gryffindor relics littered the walls, making the room have more of a sedimental feel to it. It felt like home.

It was still really early, and no one was up yet, so I went ahead and made my way to the Great Hall. I walked out of the common room, and noticed it was actually a picture of a fat lady in a pink dress. I waved at her kindly, which returned, before leaving.

Navigating Hogwarts was confusing, at best. There were corridors upon corridors, rooms upon rooms. The ancient walls seemed to hold endless secrets, that I wanted to discover.

I arrived in the Great Hall to find it devoid of life. No one was there. What to do. I walked out into the entrance hall, where would they keep the kitchen? My book had said that the kitchens were under the Great Hall, but it never said how to find the kitchen. But if it was under the Hall then I guess I better go downstairs.

I saw some stairs going down across the entrance hall, and started towards it. I stopped suddenly though as I heard the great, big double doors creak open.

Someone was coming. I quickly hid behind a nearby suit of amor, not wishing to be seen. A silhouette of a person emerged from the darkness. As they stepped into the torchlight I saw who it was.

It was Remus.

Why me?, I thought exasperatedly. The one person who I so desperately wanted to be friends with, was constantly popping up in my life. But I knew I couldn't be friends with him.

I was damaged and I couldn't be friends with him, or I'd damaged him too. I couldn't ruin him. I wouldn't.

I peered at Remus from my hiding spot, and was immediately alarmed by the state of him. He had cuts and scratches on his body, it looked like he got in a fight with a cat. He had bags under his eyes, he looked exhausted. What was he doing this early in the morning outside?

I had to restrain myself from running to him, and helping him. I was surprised by how much it hurt me to see him like this. I have never felt this way before.

Remus walked cautiously up the grand staircase, and out of sight. I hoped he was on his way to the clinic. Once he was gone I made my way down to the staircase leading to the dungeon. If I was a kitchen where would I be?, I wondered as I reached the end of the stairs.

I saw a portrait of fruit up ahead, I walked up to it. The common room entrance was a portrait, so why not the kitchens? The question was how would you access it.

I knocked on the picture, not expecting it to actually open, but it did. A house elf stood there with big bat-like ears, and blue tennis ball big eyes. It was wearing a dirty pillowcase, I felt bad for the little elf.

"Hello there, my name is Stella Frost and I was wondering if this would perhaps be the entrance to the kitchens."

The house elf's eyes welled up with tears, I immediately crouched down to its level and tried comforting it. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry." This only seemed to make her more upset, though.

"Miss- Miss Frost, shouldn't ap-apologize t-to Mitzy!" the little elf wailed.

"It's okay Mitzy! I just wanted some breakfast, I never meant to make you upset." I tried convincing her, and it worked. Her tears went away and she looked at me with glee.

"Miss Frost wants breakfast! Mitzy will get Miss Frost breakfast!" Mitzy exclaimed excitedly, opening the port hole more to allow me in.

The kitchen was high-ceilinged, and had five tables in the exact same position of the Great Hall above. There were brass pots and pans stacked along the walls, and a fire place at the other end of the room. There were house else everywhere, preparing for breakfast. Mitzy led me over to a small table off to the side, and told me to sit down.

"What would Miss Frost like to eat for breakfast this morning?" Mitzy asked, bouncing with excitement.

I was shocked at how eager she was to serve me, I mean I thought house elves would hate it but I guess not. "Ummmmm.... I would like some chocolate pancakes with syrup." I said uncertainly. Mitzy started to walk away, when I added. "Make that chocolate syrup!"

"Mitzy will be right back with Miss Frost's chocolate pancakes with chocolate syrup." she said before going into the throng of house elves.

A few minutes later she returned holding my breakfast. "Thank you Mitzy." I said politely. In a matter of seconds I devoured the chocolatey pancakes, that would have given a normal person a heart attack. But what can I say chocolate has healing abilities. Or so I believe.

Mitzy came and took up my plate, but before leaving she said. "If Mistress Frost ever wishes to come back, all she must do is tickle the pear."

"I might just take you up on that, Mitzy." I got up and headed for the door. "Oh and Mitzy...."

"Yes Miss?"

"Call me Stella." I smiled at the small creature, and left.