Chapter 8: The Sorting

I sat with Lily and her friend Severus the entire trip to Hogwarts. Or it's more like I slept. I was woken up 10 minutes until we got there, to put on my robes.

We arrived at Hogsmeade station, a little town near Hogwarts. Me and Lily excited the train together, leaving our bags behind because apparently someone was supposed to get them for us. There was a rather large man shouting for first years, I wonder if I should go over there. I dismissed the idea, I was a third year technically.

Me and Lily walked over to some carriages that were being pulled by a weird looking horse thing. It was skeletal with leathery black skin stretched over its bones. It had bat like wings and reptilian features. I thought it was beautiful.

"Hey Lily what's that pulling the carriages?" I asked her in my quiet voice.

She looked at me wide eyed for a second before saying. "You've seen someone die?"

"Ex-Excuse me?" Her question was surprising. How did she know?

"The animals that pull the carriages are thestrals, you can only see them if you've seen someone die."

Oh, I read about that in Hogwarts, a History, I should've known that. Stupid me.

"Oh," was all I said in response. She didn't prod, but I could tell she was curious still.

We boarded the carriages with some of Lily's friends, she introduced me. "Stella this is Alice Prewett, Marlene McKinnon, and Cheyenne Frenette."

Alice had long brown hair and brown eyes, Marlene had long curly blond hair and blue eyes, Cheyenne had short wavy light brown hair and green eyes. I have a small smile and then faced the window again. They asked me lots of questions, that I gave short and vague answers to. I hated all the attention.

I sighed in relief as the carriage finally stopped, but my sigh turned into a gasp as I laid my eyes on Hogwarts. It was an ancient looking castle with so many turrets and towers. It was well....

Magical.

I made my way through the huge double oak doors with all the other students. They were being really loud, much to my annoyance. A lady approached me and pulled me aside.

She had her black hair pulled up into a neat bun and had a stern look about her. Looking into her eyes though I could see actually wasn't mean, she was actually a nice women. I loved beings able to read people because nobody's actually what they appear to be.

"I'm Professor McGonagall, I was told you are to be sorted with the first years, follow me." she said briskly. I followed her into a side room that had a lot of smaller people in it. I smiled slightly at their nervous faces, I was nervous too. About the sorting and Remus.

Professor McGonagall was talking to the group of 11 year olds and I noticed a little boy at the back of the crowd. He was shorter for his age, and had brown hair and blue eyes. He looked sad. I felt the sudden need to walk over and comfort him.

I walked over to him and he looked up at me. I gave him a small smile, which he attempted to return, but failed miserably.

"My name's Stella."

"I'm Liam." he looked at me with sad eyes.

"Are you okay?" I asked concerned.
He looked into my eyes and told me truthfully. "Not really."

"What's wrong?" I questioned quietly.

He hesitated a moment unsure but then spoke. "My mum's sick, she has a muggle disease called cancer." I saw tears brimming in his eyes.