Chapter 5 - That Night.

Comfort, it was something that Arthur had never experienced in his recent years. Be it stressing over the new ruler, or stressing over the protection of his Kingdom: Arthur had never felt a sense of relaxation.

Now, was no different.

His hand wrapped around the clear glass that was filled to the midsection with whisky. Quickly swirling the ice around the liquid, he would take one chug of the whisky before cringing as the liquor touched the back of his throat. To think that he would not be used to such a treatment was increasingly concerning - especially as he took the beverage most nights before slumber.

Gently placing the beverage upon the bedside table, Arthur was about to blow out the candle that would be the only source of light - aside from the moon outside. Yet, as the Queen was already tucked into bed, a nightgown draped over his body. The only form of nightwear that the Kingdom of Diamonds had to offer. It was deplorable.

As he moved to turn out the light; a movement at the window startled him. The blond was faced with a predicament, close the window and get up from his comfy position, or perhaps be killed by an intruder. Actually, the latter didn't seem too horrible at this moment in time.

However, something seemed off about the figure that clambered into the room. The silhouette had flowing hair, and even the stubble of some beard had made its appearance on the shadow. Evidently, it was not a hard guess as to whom it could be.

"Why are you here?" Arthur would question, crossing his arms and glaring at his fellow Royal with a spark of pure curiosity. Perhaps, one may even argue anger.

"Now now, how harsh," Francis' voice would sing, walking over to the male and being brought into the dim light of the candle,"I'm merely here to ask you a few things."

"Go on then, I'm tired and you're annoying right now."

Sitting at the end of the bed, Francis would turn to stare at Arthur with unforgiving eyes. It was the kind of glare that made the Queen want to punch the man in his face. To rip away the skin that he had left and create an elegy with his screams. Those dastardly thoughts would permeate in his mind and yet, he merely stared.

"Arthur, when was the last time you ever fell in love?"

What even was that question? Did the King finally go mad?

"Oh Lord here we go. You haven't been drinking have you? I know what you're like."

"No it's nothing of the sort, I'm just curious."

"Well considering I was engaged."

Taking his comment in mind, Francis would scoff slightly, moving his hand over Arthur's: causing the Queen to blush with his touch. His hands were as warm as the last time they had met, even up to the point that they had left each other; they were still warm.

"You were engaged but were you in love? Or were you merely following the natural order of things? A Queen must marry their King."

Upon those words being uttered, a sudden pang of guilt rang though Arthur. Perhaps he was merely following the natural order of things when he accepted Alfred's proposal? Or perhaps he was being honest? He did in fact love the man. The two of them had been inseparable ever since Alfred came bearing the seal of the King. Arthur had flocked to his side, raising him into the man he was now. Then, when his mother departed the world and he became Queen, Alfred took his rightful place as King. The two, were always alongside one another.