Chapter XIX The Prelude to the Final Battle

{~_~}

Ephraim's POV

I could see both our allies and foes from afar.

"(Y/n), get ready to engage in combat." I told her.

"Ok, but I've never fought while riding on a horse before."

"Worry not, I will be steering the horse, all you have to do is keep your balance and focus on your target intently...maybe try releasing your arrow slightly earlier than you usually do." I suggested.

"Alright, I'll try."

(Y/n) never does cease to amaze me. On her first attempt to shoot down an enemy, she succeeded.

"Great shot (y/n), keep up the good work!" I complimented her.

She was so flustered by my comment that she lost her balance, and began to fall off the horse. Luckily, my fast reflexes saved her from a painful encounter with the ground.

"Brother, (y/n)! You're okay!" I heard my sister's voice getting closer to us.

"Eirika, look out!" I screamed as I saw an enemy approach her.

"Not today Satan!" (Y/n) proclaimed as she shot down Eirika's attacker.

"Oh thank you (y/n)! Ha, I guess I should pay more attention to my surroundings." Eirika thanked (y/n).

{~_~}

We reunited with our forces, and everyone was so worried about our disappearance. Kyle was the worst though. He asked me a whole series of questions, and forced me to undergo a checkup done by our team of clerics. Tana also approached me with a whole list of questions, but hers were about (y/n) and I.

"Ephraim, I was so worried about you and (y/n)! Where did you two stay? How did you manage to get around? How did you—"

"Easy Tana. I explored around darkling woods, and stumbled upon a small house, and an old couple let us stay the night in their guest room. They fed us and gave us this horse as well." I explained.

"So only you walked? How did (y/n) get there then?" She was eager to know.

"Oh, I carried her because she was frightened by being in Darkling Woods at night."

"Mhm, and how many beds were there in that guest room you guys stayed in?"

"There was only one, and boy was (y/n) in a frenzy when she awoke this morning!" I laughed.

"Damn her!" Tana mumbled under her breath.

"What was that?" I couldn't hear her.

"Nothing." She replied as she walked away angry.

"Brother, I believe the final battle is upon us...I can sense the demon king's evil presence is lurking in that old castle up a head." Eirika approached me.

"Aye, I sense it too."

"Do we really have to fight the demon king, It'll be like fighting Lyon?" (Y/n) asked.

"I'm afraid so...there's no other way." I replied.

"Why did this have to happen? Why did it have to be Lyon? I loved him so much!" Eirika cried.

I embraced my weeping sister who I didn't have an answer for. Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes we just don't know why.

"Don't cry Eirika, you're making me cry too!" (Y/n) said as I hugged her too.

"It'll all be over soon. Lyon would want for us to stop him if he was doing wrong, so we must respect his wishes and stop him...plus, he's already dead...the demon king consumed him." I said in a sad voice.

They dried their tears and released themselves from my embrace.

"You're right brother. Let's all three of us take down the demon king together!" Eirika declared as we proceed in the old castle in Darkling Woods.

The rundown castle was dim and had a musky smell. It's a fitting place for the demon king to reside. Suddenly, Lyon appeared in front of us. I readied my lance for battle.

"W-wait Ephraim, it's me Lyon...a tiny fragment of me remains." He said in a frail voice that sounded like our friend.

"Lyon? Is it really you?" Eirika stepped forward.

"Yes, I'm sorry for all the despair I caused you and the whole continent of Magvel. I let the demon king take over me because I wanted to be physically strong...like you Ephraim. Please defeat me in battle, so this war can reach its conclusion."

"There has to be another way Lyon! Hey maybe we can get a cleric to restore—" (Y/n) started to say.

"It's impossible (y/n). Saving me would only mean saving the demon king as well. Death is inevitable for me." Lyon said as the demon king took over and transported away.

"Alright everyone, this is our final battle! We must respect Lyon's wishes and defeat the demon king by defeating Lyon!" I said as we commenced into battle.

{~_~}

To be continued in chapter 20, make sure to vote and comment!

I hope you liked this chapter! Also, be sure to read my other books if you're a fan of Kuroko no basket and/or Nanbaka! I am the author of Area 51 (Jyugo x reader), Arrested (Aomine x reader), Kuroko no short stories, Star Crossed (Akashi x reader), and the sequel to Star Crossed called Vengeance and Lust (Akashi x reader)!

Written June 3rd,2017
Published August 25th,2017
Next Update August 28th,2017