Protection?

Chapter 9
__________________

It's odd.

How easily reading Anthony has become, yet with every clue, I am left more confused. He is a walking contradiction. Cocky but self-aware. Careful but reckless. Weary yet impulsive. Worst of all cruel yet gentle.

I find myself watching as he watches her.

It's an HR orientation, so of course, Melissa would be here, but it's like he didn't expect her. Well, maybe he didn't expect her personally to do a private orientation with me a line-level employee.

His eyes trace her face as she talks. And I wonder how she doesn't notice. I could feel his eyes on me when he would glance my way to make sure I am paying attention before returning to her. Giving her his full undivided attention. It was stirring something in me. Something close to longing.

After learning the hard way that dating your boss doesn't end well, I had to leave my company to become a freelancer. Mostly working in criminal reportings for new channels and websites, thus began a ridiculous chase for the truth behind the Rivera family.

I watch as his eyes snap to me in annoyance as he feels my gaze on him, but like a spectator in a play, I just tilt my head and continue to watch.

He has to love her, that's the only explanation for how much he reveals while in her presence. Although he is far from vulnerable ever, it's as if he can't help but offer his softer side to anyone in the room as long as she is watching.

It's like he can hear my thoughts because his rough voice releases a breath before speaking, "The least you could do is pay attention in the fucking orientation."

It's the first time he's cursed in front of me I think, much less at me.

I smile before I realize what I am doing. It's a goofy smile like I won something by receiving his anger.

His eyebrows raise and without my permission, my smile turns into a smug grin, but I manage to resist a wink.

"Anthony. Language," Melissa says and it sounds robotic-like she has had to say it a million times.

I swear something come over me because I find myself speaking my mind without my usual filter, "It's fine Melissa. I am used to dealing with children's outbursts."

The room is silent.

I feel the heavy gaze of Melissa on me now, but she doesn't speak, only stares. I pay her no mind and watch Anthony instead, waiting for the anger but it never comes.

Instead, I see him wiping his face but not managing to wipe away his surprised grin. He wasn't expecting that.

Well I wasn't expecting my cover to be blown but here we are. Sure he might not truly know what I am after, and sure it might be better to try and get on his good side, but the little I've learned about Anothony Rivera is that he likes to be surprised. Good thing I am full of surprises.

Melissa finally offers a half-laugh after the long silence, "yes, I suppose that is why we hired you. But hopefully, my children won't use such language."

I turn towards Melissa as she smiles gracefully. Her gorgeous eyes outlined in the smallest of liner and softest of eyeshadow and her skin-her fucking skin- shines and I don't see any crease of wrinkles. She is beautiful, the model kind or like the movie kind. A part of me hates her for it.

"Oh I'm sure they won't," I say with a smile that I hope is as gentle as hers.

She is kind and flawless. Fuck her.

No. Correction.

Power to her, women supporting women is important. That doesn't mean I can't be a little envious.