The Deal

Chapter 8
______________

His smile dazes me enough to not realize he has stepped inside my personal space both of us now standing a breath away at the front of his desk.

I'm too distracted to even step back.

"You like my warning mi bambina?" His dark timber raises goosebumps on my skin and I suck in a breath unconsciously.

Girl. He just called me His Girl.

He takes a step in front of me to pin my body between his and the desk.

"Did you learn anything from it?" He taunts but he is still smiling, a teasing smile that makes me forget all words.

I take a step back only for my butt to land atop his desk in an ungraceful ridge motion and his hand grabs onto my form arm to stable me as he steps forward again, closer this time.

"Did you like it?" he asks again but the smile is gone now, "because it is only a little show."

He pauses.

"Your roommate is so much sweeter than you. My men took to her very easily."

He is trying to get a reaction from me and I feel my face heat with a pinch of anger and embarrassment and almost...jealous? Would he take to her more too? everyone always does. She is my redemption and so many of our foster parents, nuns, and teachers loved to remind me of that. And now he is too. He is one of them. He is-

"Where is your spark Bambina? Hmm? So quiet," He presses.

This makes me pause. I look at him, well look into his dark pools he calls eyes.

He wants me to react, wants a reason to say I can't handle the job. But more than that he is attempting to make himself the villain, my villain.

My hands move on their own, as they slowly-barely- brush against the front of his suit and run their way up to his neck. Then as gentle as I am capable of I pull his tie strings back into the perfect knot and run my hands down the satin fabric to remove any wrinkles and straighten his tie clip.

"You do not scare me, Mr. Rivera," I pause and bask in the surprised expression painted onto his perfect fucking face, "instead," I hesitate and speak honestly, "you worry me, Anthony."

He opens his mouth but nothing follows, so I continue.

"You scared my roommate- my friend- it worries me that you felt the need to do that. She is harmless," I don't include myself in the harmless defense knowing I would rather manipulate than lie because this conversation already felt like a building block to us, even if 'us' were only employee and employer.

"It was just a message," he manages to sound almost defensive.

I frown, "well message received."

There is a pause before he nods in understanding. What he took from the conversation I'm not quite sure but at least I could say my peace.

I ignore our position, with him somehow having stood before my sitting form on the edge of his desk ad my hands still at his tie.

Lowering my hands without contact, I try for a different topic, "where exactly will I be living?"

This one seems to get his attention as he slowly raises his eyes from my hands- not having known he was watching them- and I see the ends of his lips move. The damn bastard is trying not to smirk.

"Well we have a large mansion where many family members live and you will be staying there in the room next to the children," he answers.

"We? Family?" I question still standing in front of his desk.