Don't Play the Game Part One

Start from the beginning

Anyways, it wasn't long before I was known as an outsider and a freak.

So I spent most of my study halls and free periods at the school library. It was there that I found an old school yearbook.

It was the only school yearbook in the whole library. It was wedged between two books on encounters with ghosts. I thought that it was weird that it was there, because I had been to that section millions of times, and I had never seen it before. Someone must have put it there. Put it there for me to find.

When I asked the librarian about the yearbook, she said she didn't even know that the yearbook was in the library. After checking to make sure it wasn't from any of the four years she had attended Hillside, the librarian handed it back to me with a smile.

Turns out, the yearbook was from about thirty years before the school librarian had attended Hillside- making it from the 60s. 1966, to be exact.

With all my homework done and nothing better to do, I decided to look at the yearbook. It was actually pretty cool looking at the yearbook. It was sort of like looking back into the past- which, I guess I was doing. The uniforms were the same, but the hair and makeup were drastically different.

About halfway through the yearbook, it was almost time for me to go home. I decided to look at one more page before I packed up my stuff.

When I turned the page, I gasped, and nearly dropped the yearbook.

There, on the page, in the third row, second column, was the girl from my nightmares, the right side of her face matching the left, smiling up at me.

Julia Melville.

It was eerie. There was no way that she was real. This had to be some kind of crazy coincidence. There was no way in hell that the ghost of some girl named Julia, who attended this school in the 60s, was visiting me in my dreams, telling me not to play some game.

No. Fucking. Way.

I must have been pretty freaked out, because the school librarian was standing in front of me, saying my name in a way that suggested that she had been saying it for a while.

"Livvy, your mom is here to pick you up," she told me once she had gotten my attention.

"Oh, thanks," I replied, shoving my belongings into my bookbag.

"Do you want to take the yearbook home with you?" she asked.

I shook my head. "No thank you." There was no way in hell that I was taking that thing home with me.

I didn't say much on the way home, which wasn't out of the ordinary. Usually I'd read a book or do homework on the ride home. That day I just stared blankly out the window, my thoughts racing so fast, they would have given The Flash a good run for his money. I also didn't say anything to my mom and dad that night except for a quick "Good night" before I went upstairs to take a shower and go to sleep. Well, try to go to sleep. No matter how much I tossed and turned, I just couldn't fall asleep. I tried counting, reading, listening to music, but nothing worked. Nothing! Thoughts of Julia Melville just kept sneaking into my mind, not letting me think about anything else. I was going to go insane if I didn't do something.

I sighed as I slid out of my bed and into my desk chair. My body protested at first, urging me to get back in bed, to try again to fall asleep, but as soon as I turned on the computer, the blue light blinding me, I was wide awake. (Of course, my computer being the pain in the ass it is, it decided that right then was the perfect time to update. FUCK YOU, WINDOWS 7)

I pulled up Chrome and clicked on the search bar. At first I wasn't sure what to type and I just stared blankly at the Sailor Scouts. Then I typed in "Julia Melville Hillside High School for Girls 1966." I expected- and sort of hoped- that nothing would show up.