Three

Marlene's POV

By the time we are settled in bed, I decide to have a little fun. Yeah, he told me that he cared about me but I like to tease him. I know that I will get chastised later. I can deal with the lecture. The worst that Nathan ever did to me was pretend to hang me over the stairs. There is no railing so it was kind of terrifying. I had a feeling that he would not drop me because he would have to explain what happened. Then the secret would get out.

Nathan lays sprawled out on his bed, laying on his back. This is my chance for revenge. I laugh mischievously. Nathan stirs but steadies his breaths, becoming even. He has fallen asleep.

I rub my hands together, ready to begin the fun.

I walk over to where Nathan lays. I chuckle lightly to myself. Nathan has his arm behind his head and is not wearing a shirt. He has an eight pack and. . .He is so cut- No. No, I cannot fall for Nathan. He is my kidnapper and I love Uriah. Yet, somehow, my mind is telling me otherwise.

Nathan opens his eyes slightly and slurs in a seductive voice, "Mar, comee. . .in bedd with mmee."

This is going to be an interesting night, I think.

~~~~

Tobias's POV

That night I do not fall asleep. Instead, I decide to wonder and take a walk. maybe I can clear my mind. I should fall sleep because we have school tomorrow but my mind is racing. Before long, my feet take me to the fear landscape room. I always head to the fear landscape room. It is like an instinct for me to go there. The fear landscape room is my second home. My apartment is the first.

I know the drill since I go in here frequently. I place the syringe on the side of my neck and wait. I try to face my fears but somehow I still have fur fears. I cannot be fearless but I can try.

The room turns black and eventually it brightens. I stand on a tall building in the sky. I breath in and out but my breathing becomes heavier. I cannot calm myself down enough so I must conquer this fear. I have to jump off the Hancock building. I can do this. I have jumped off of here countless times. Tris was always here to help me, though. I cannot think like that. I need to clear my mind.

I do not think. I just jump and I hurdle down the side of the Hancock building. The cool night air blows around me, sending goosebumps up my arms. My stomach drops as I realize that I am going to smash into the ground. Wait, no I will not. This is not real.

I do not hit the ground but instead I stand in a room. This is my fear of tight spaces. The walls begin to slam together I remember when Tris was here and she made me laugh and steady myself. We still had to cram into the space but we got out. I remind myself of all the happy moments with her. My breaths become shallow and soon the room fades away. I stand up from my previous spot in the corner.

The third fear is the same. I have to shoot the strange girl. This one is not so bad, I remind myself. I brace myself and then take the gun. I extend the gun out in front of me. My arms are straight as I shoot the gun. The bull slices the air and hits the girl right in her chest. I look away before she collapses into a bloody mess. This fear fades out and I am onto my final fear.

My fourth fear is not what it normally is. Normally I would have to face the wrath of my father. Instead of seeing my abusive father, I see Tris.

~~~~

Lynn's POV
When Tris goes to the hospital two chapters ago

I have decided to tell my friends about what is wrong with me. They are obviously worried. I can see it in their facial expressions. Peter already knows and he kind of made me do this. I am going to tell them now because I am so worried about what they will say. I have never been like this before. This feeling is so different. They are my friends and I should trust them.

I burst through the hospital doors.

Christina wobbles with Will, clutching his side for help. Zeke and Shauna stand, gaping. Peter encourages me and places an arm on my back. Uriah stands by Marlene and Nathan. Marlene stares at the ground and Nathan looks aggravated. My brother stands, awkwardly by the open door of Tris's hospital room. Four sits on the edge of Tris's hospital bed as our friends crowd around the door.

Tris twitches a bit at the noise from our friends and then Four places his hand on hers. She lays limp in the hospital bed. The white bed sheets cover half her body. The lower part is covered and her top part of the hospital gown is exposed. She looks lifeless, pale, an- No, I cannot think like that. I cannot give up on her. Tris is my friend. She is strong and can fight through this.

"I have cancer, okay?" I take a deep breath and then shout over the chaos.

Well, that was a giant relief. I am so glad that I confessed because my secret was eating me alive. Okay, as alive as I am. I do not know how much longer I have to live. With the cancer and all. Cancer is a side effect of dying. Almost everything is.

~~~~

Christina's POV

"Will!" I shriek and giggle as he jumps into bed next to me.

Will gives me innocent eyes and his lips crash into mine.

I laugh in between kisses and sigh, "How. . . Can we do. . . This while. . . All of our friends have serve problems."

"Because you are irresistible." He grins mischievously and wraps his arms around me.

"Do you think Tris will be okay?" I ask, softly.

Will notices my sad expression. He nods, reassuringly, "She'll be fine. It's Tris, after all."

I laugh, "Yeah. . . But Four and Tris. . . " I start to cry, "If anything happens to her I will be so upset. Especially Four. I mean those two can never stop talking. When they are together, all they do is talk and laugh like they are the last ones left. If. . . I-If. . . ."

Will takes my hand and props himself up on his elbow. He stares into my brown eyes and reassures, "I know that she will be okay."

I just hope that I can believe him. He was Erudite but they are the faction of the smart. Not the future seeing faction. Well, that is not even a faction.

I fall asleep to the steady beat of his heart. Maybe tomorrow at school, Tris will come. Maybe tomorrow I can see her and make sure she is okay.

A/N: thanks FOUR all the reads, comments, and votes!