Chapter Thirty-Three: Smallville

Start from the beginning

As the ute rolled to a halt the door to the house swung open. Out walked the same couple Silvia had met a few months ago. The woman had her arms outstretched towards Clark and the man flashed a proud smile.

"Welcome back, son." Mr. Kent boomed.

"Thanks, Pa." Clark replied, giving his mother a hug and then turning to shake his father's hand.

Silvia found the courage to exit the vehicle but stayed right beside it, far too anxious to walk over and say hello. She did wave when they looked st her though, which earned a light-hearted smile from Clark.

He stepped over, grabbing her arm and leading her over to his parents. She gulped and held onto him even tighter.

"Ma, Pa, you've already met Silvia." Clark said, glancing down at the nervous girl adoringly. "She's very important to me."

They both looked as hesitant as before, but regardless, Martha wrapped her in a hug and Jonathan held his hand out to shake. Silvia accepted the gesture then quickly pulled her hand back to hold Clark's arm. "It's g-good to see you both again."

"You too, dear." Martha sounded a little sympathetic despite her caution and Silvia instantly knew that Clark had informed them of her past... They probably wouldn't have let her in their house if he hadn't. "Come in. I've just learnt how to cook one of Clark's favourite meals."

"Beef bourguignon?" Silvia asked curiously. It wasn't exactly the easiest thing to make if you wanted to do it well and only certain restaurants would even bother with it.

Martha nodded, but Clark looked a little surprised. He hadn't told her that...

Silvia blinked up at him. "You order it almost any opportunity you get. It wasn't that hard to figure out."

Clark grinned. "Oh, so you do pay attention."

"Only when I feel like it."

His parents went back inside, leaving the door open for the two of them. Silvia let out a shaky exhale the moment they left. She could tell that they still weren't exactly fond of her. Luckily, she didn't have to think about this very long because soon the dog came barreling towards her.

For all that muscle he leaped like a puppy and then pushed his body into hers as soon as Silvia was close enough. In seconds her hand was covered in slobber, the dogs tongue of sandpaper almost dripping with every lick. His tail wasn't wagging side to side but going round and round like a helicopter blade; any happier and she thought those dinner-plate paws might catch some air.

"How you doin', bud?" Clark laughed, ruffling the fur on his head and motioning for Silvia to follow him inside.

Silvia gave the dog one final pat before hurrying inside. The screen door creaked shut behind her and the floorboards made a similar noise beneath. The house was covered in photos, mainly of Clark but there were a select few with Jonathan as well. It was rare to see one of Martha among the collection but when she did it was with the entire family.

The majority of the furniture was made of different kinds of wood, the scent of sawdust and barn animals dominating the air. It was an unfamiliar smell to Silvia but Clark seemed almost relaxed by it.

In the kitchen was a table made of oak. Four plates sat full to the very edges on each side; Martha waited patiently reading the cover of the newspaper Jonathan held up. Clark pulled the seat out for Silvia before going to his own on the opposite side.