Peace & Quiet - LeBron James x Kawhi Leonard

Published May 31, 2017

#prepare for Finals pt. 1
~~~

LeBron

The thunderous roars of the croud gets further away, out of existence, as I walk out of the arena.

We just defeated the Boston Celtics 135-102 to end the series 4-1, which very well could have been a sweep if not for a literally last second three in game 4.

I feel kinda bad for them, seeing as how any legitimate chance they had to progress on to the Finals was ripped away from them when their key guy went down, but I can't be too sympathetic when we have to face the Warriors.

I enter the locker room and strip myself of my sweaty uniform, then step under the shower water. After 15 minutes, I get out, dry myself, and get in my change of clothes, thinking about them.

The Warriors. The team that caused me to fail at bringing a championship home to my city the first time around, and the same team that I got my revenge against a year later.

A year later, and we're at it again..... same meal, slightly different food on the plate.

I'm driving home now, thinking the journey I've traveled to my seventh straight NBA Finals. Of course I love playing against "the superteam", but 3 years in a row against them is not my idea of exciting.....

*sigh* I need some different competish, some new bait to eat, or chew on for a while.

I don't want to have to block Curry's _ss and get him all worked up and hypersensitive about it. I don't want to deal with Draymond's disrespectful way of playing the game, him being all loud and whiny and rambunctious. I don't want to size up against their newcomer, KD, who can also be a bit of a tasteless cupcake.

I don't want to face the Warriors, straight up. There are other teams. Teams with better, respectful players. One holding the most respectful of all. The Spurs. The team that was just swept by the Warriors, actually. Yes, I want to go against the Spurs in the Finals again, like I did when in 2013 & 2014, when I used to ball in Miami.

I want to play against Kawhi Leonard.

I pull up to my mansion, which is empty, and grab a glass of water on the way up to my bedroom.

Kawhi Leonard. The talented, humble, quiet star. The one who makes a difference. The one who, had he not been injured, the series between them and the Warriors could have, would have, turned out differently. He's the one.

I remember I had just come to Miami the summer of 2010, to try and look for a new angle, for winning championships. Ever since I played against him for the first time, back in 2011, I saw something in him. How he was silent, reserved, calm, but still managed to get his job done. The job being my primary defender.

He talked no trash, he never did any dirty plays, he never complained to refs about any foul calls he received, he was just, perfect. So silent. Never talked. And he was only a rookie.

I sit on my bed, laying my head on the head rest. I scroll through my notifications, looking for anything interesting, and by interesting I don't mean a bunch of fans blowing up my Instagram or Twitter. I find nothing, and power it off. Then my mind goes back to the meek star.

All the times we went head to head, he was the same. Stayed the same. Staying the same. No ego, no trouble with anyone, does nothing but help his team win. All he does to show his competitiveness was guard with a purpose, and stare me in the eye sometimes blankly, anticipating and calculating every move I was gonna make. He was always efficient and incredibly accurate.

The kid's assassinating skill is what led his team to winning the Finals against mine in 2014, where he won Finals MVP as well, and made his mark.

And the amazing part is, is that he only gets better every year, both defensively and offensively. He puts up better and better MVP caliber numbers each year. I do too, but not in the fashion he does. I can't do what that kid can. Much less not let the fame spoil me, like he can.

He's a tough kid, the whole package, if you will. Fierce competitor, all hard work, no playing around. The uprising star of this league, and so likable.

That's the competition I want. But instead I have to suffer facing the Warriors, and Steph, Klay, Draymond, KD, all those guys. All those guys are great, don't get me wrong, but....

There's something about him. Something about his style of play, the way he presents and carries himself, his personality, that attracts me to him in an irregular way. I don't know what it is.

I ponder this deeply as I drift off to sleep.

No more wishing. It's done. It's settled. I'll get my chance against Kawhi again in the future, but for now, he rests, getting stronger everyday, coming back from injury. And I am here, preparing for the rematch.

There's no such thing as peace and quiet, not against the Warriors.

A/N: They call him the Silent Assassin, I call him Kawhi-whi😌

Don't worry LeBron, I wish you were playing against Kawhi-whi too.

Getcha selves some popcorn for next time and be intrigued!