✨ Part 25 ✨

Magsimula sa umpisa

Even though looking at her made his heart ache from the guilt he could not stop the smile that curved his lips as they continued to stare.

"I'm sorry, Naruto," she added, placing a finger on his lips before he could speak, "for not being there for you when you needed me most. I had been bothered by the idea of you and Sasuke becoming so close, but I made it impossible for you to approach me about it. I'm sorry if that ever made you feel alone... I never wanted that."

His chest began to ache even more as he nodded in a silent acceptance of her apology. "I'm sorry too."

"I don't want you to be sorry that it happened."

"I'm not," he said with a shake of his head before he gathered the courage to look into those emerald eyes. "I'm sorry that it hurt."

Even though he felt the sadness agonize him bit by bit she managed to smile weakly. This smile was painful to look at because it attempted to ignore the obvious turmoil he witnessed in her eyes. All he could do was admire her strength in having come this far with him, and for not abandoning him at such an important time. If he was going to survive this night, he was going to need all the help he could get.

They met up with their other classmates who had lined themselves just outside the doors that led into the main hall. Kiba and Ino were one of the few in front who had the courage to peek into the hall and inform those behind them of what was going on. Apparently it was beginning to fill up faster than they thought, and almost all of the guests had arrived.

The superintendent was present as well as few members from the city council and important company figures, Itachi Uchiha being among them.

Naruto clenched his jaw to keep from shivering so he could maintain his composure. That was not what he needed to know at the moment. Before his mind could burst out into a series of confused musings and second guessing he felt a gentle squeeze against his palm. When he looked over to Sakura she offered him a comforting smile as Gai leaned in through the slightly open door. There was nothing that could help the rapid heartbeat that made his hands begin to shake.

"Alright everyone," he began with an encouraging thumbs-up. "This is it! The music is going to start and you guys will make your entrance."

Oh god...

"Just relax and give it your all!" And with that the teacher disappeared behind the door and the students assumed the right positions.

That's not a good combination at all! He tried to calm his panicked thoughts as he wrapped an arm around Sakura's waist and held out his hand so she could place hers on top of his gingerly. An orchestra began to play the entrance music so loudly that it echoed through the corridor making him jump from the anticipation. The line started to move forward as the doors were opened for them.

At first, the various lights that were strung along the walls and the many chandeliers blinded him as they emerged from the darkness of the hallway. He kept a very straight posture as he led Sakura to the center of the hall that had been kept clear for their entrance. His eyes scanned the surrounding people as flashes of various cameras encircled them and trapped him and his peers in a shield of white. When they were all in position he stood in front of Sakura and they faced each other in silence as the entrance music slowly came to a close.

"I want to thank all of you for joining us this evening for our annual Konoha Academy Ball," Kakashi spoke from the stage that was set up to their right. The orchestra had already exited and the silver haired teacher had all the attention on him throughout the short applause. "It is my pleasure to introduce two of our students who will be our first performers tonight." He couldn't help but turn his head, along with several other classmates to watch as Hinata and Sasuke walked onto the stage. "Please welcome Sasuke Uchiha and Hinata Hyuuga as they play our students through our opening waltz."