• Part 14 •

"Naruto?" Sakura questioned. "What are you doing out here?"

He gasped desperately for air as he took another moment to gain his composure. "An afternoon... jog... you?"

"I just got done with archery club," she answered, still seeming disconcerted by his alarmed expression.

He was glad that he ran into a familiar face so soon. When his body had gained control of itself he sprinted back to the campus, though he was not sure what he was hoping to find. He stood up tall now so he could take in one more calming breath as he smiled at her. "That's awesome, Sakura. I didn't think you were so talented."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" She laughed as she punched his arm playfully.

"I didn't mean it like that!" He chuckled, and he felt a wave of relief wash over him that let his muscles relax a little more. If this wasn't a great distraction he didn't know what was. "What are you doing now?"

She shrugged as she wiped some sweat from her brow. "I guess I get to enjoy the rest of the day off, you?"

"Walk with me?" he asked, hoping that his voice didn't sound too distressed.

"Sure..." She replied while looking around the campus for something. "That sounds nice."

They walked through the soft grass while talking about what had happened during the day. Naruto was careful to avoid anything that had to do with him and went on about how he almost got a study date with Hinata before Neji ordered him to go in to study for calculus on Sunday. There were brief mentions of her day that only felt like a sort of static in his brain, and he wasn't able to comprehend any of it. He was not even sure that he was being coherent.

"So... Naruto..." She began as they stopped under a tree near the entrance of the main building. "What's on your mind?"

"Nothing at all," he replied almost truthfully. Even if he tried to concentrate his body began to react so strangely that he forced himself to block it out. Now, he stood in a bizarre blank state that made him feel a lot heavier.

"You're starting to worry me," she continued as she dropped her bag in the shade. "You seem really lost."

Lost? What that what it was to not know which way was up, what was right or wrong, or who he even was? "Are you my friend, Sakura?" He asked suddenly, catching her off guard.

"I... I consider us friends, yes," she answered unsure of how to react to his behavior.

"Can I try something then? Just as a friend?" He cracked his knuckles at his sides while he tried to keep a still expression.

"I guess..." She answered warily, obviously more worried about the strange actions.

"Okay," he said with a nod as he took hold of her arms. Without further hindrance he pulled her close as he leaned down and planted a soft kiss against her lips. At first, he was expected to get punched in the face, but when she offered no real reaction at all he leaned in further to deepen it.

He tried to focus on whatever emotion first surfaced, but found that his mind was still as blank as before. Her lips were soft, but unmoving. There wasn't that warmth that he was sure he felt before, and his heartbeat remained serene and temperate.

"Of all the places."

A stifled gasp was sounded from Sakura as she suddenly shoved Naruto away with all her strength. He staggered back more startled by her sudden response than the voice.

"S-Sasuke! What happened to your arm?" she spoke through her hand that covered her mouth in embarrassment, and he suddenly felt his stomach begin to clench.