I slowly got to my feet as she came closer, the relaxed feeling gone.

Marissa stopped some distance away and called to Liz, "Liz, time for your bath."

"But I don't usually have a bath until bedtime."

The child still obediently handed her bow to me and went to where Marissa was waiting for her. The woman wasted no time in taking her hand and leading her away. My instincts stirred slightly, and I subtly glanced around while walking over to collect Liz's arrows.

The archery range was built away from the other buildings with a row of trees separating them, so someone had to enter the archery field to be easily noticed. Now that I was paying attention, I spotted about thirty or so people lounging on a deck just past the side barriers. Judging from the disapproving expressions they were bestowing on an oblivious Marissa, they didn't appreciate her collecting Liz.

I also recognized this particular bunch as the ones who normally spent every evening on the archery field. They had forfeited their normal evening entertainment to give me some space while I spent time with two of my previous traveling companions. Considering we had been undisturbed for almost an hour, it gave me another glimpse at how far out of their way they were willing to go to convince me to stay here.

While that creepy thought rolled through my mind, I put the bow and arrows back in the shed. Under very different circumstances, I would have appreciated the gesture, but with a possible conspiracy afoot, it only served to put me further on edge.

I gave myself a mental shake as I left the shed, trying to settle my instincts. I watched Nicky take a few shots.

"Well, at least you're hitting the target more than what you did the other day."

"Why don't you grab a bow? I'm curious to see how many times you can hit the center of this obstinate target."

I stuck my hands in my pockets nonchalantly. "I'll pass. I haven't fired a bow since I was twelve. I probably wouldn't even hit the target."

Nicky fumbled her shot in her surprise, and her arrow landed closer to the target in the third lane than the one she was supposed to be using.

She blinked owlishly at me as she recovered. "What? But how did you know how to correct us?"

I smirked. "I did archery in girl scouts once. What I have shown you is about all I know."

"Here I thought you knew what you were doing!"

I bared my teeth in a grin as I turned to leave. "Nope. I'm taking my leave. Don't stay out too late in case you get rained on."

"There isn't a single cloud in the sky. How will I get rained on?"

"Honest, it'll rain before the sun sets. I can smell the thunderstorm on the wind."

I left the field while the group on the deck gazed at the cloudless horizon, having overheard the last bit of our conversation. I headed for the secondary building and glanced back when I reached the door, confirming that the group from the deck was already on the archery field.

Going up to my room, I grabbed some clean clothes and a handful of spare bandages, then headed to the showers I'd seen on the main floor. It had been far too long since I had a proper bath or shower, and I hadn't done more than just sponge myself down in case the scabs re-opened. They should have healed up enough to handle a shower by now. I'd just have to avoid touching the one that Nicky tormented earlier.

The running warm water felt good, and feeling clean was even better. I carefully dabbed the injuries dry with one of the many towels present and set it to the side. I'd have to figure out where the laundry was and deliver it there since some of my blood had spotted the brown fabric.