"As long as I avoid the insanity in the dining hall during dinner, I should be good on that front, unless something really riles me up," I replied dryly.

"What's most likely to rile you up?"

I gave him an ironic look. "A Terror is asking a Nightstalker that question? As different as we are, our instincts have more in common than I care to admit. Although, from what I have seen, my temper seems shorter than yours."

"You're doing quite well. Not a single person has felt their life was in jeopardy or has even complained – which is far more than what I can say about Nicky."

I snorted faintly. "Don't count on my behavior holding out much longer. I've been trying hard to act human, but I've never managed it for more than a few days. Ben or Marissa can testify to that from our road trip. My instincts are already starting to act up."

He furrowed his eyebrows and spoke slowly. "It isn't so much that you have to act human. They know you aren't, and they don't expect you to go out of your way to act like it. You can be yourself, just don't attack or threaten them."

I had never realized just how humanized Daniel was until just now. This guy needed to get out more and actually act like a zombie. What he really needed to do was go out and just live wild by himself for a week or two. I was getting a headache just thinking about how civilized he was.

"I think a quarter of the people here would fall over if they heard me growl," I retorted. "I shocked a few that heard me growl half-heartedly at Nicky."

"Once they realize that you won't harm them, it won't bother them." He shrugged. "They've heard me growl a few times, and they still want me around."

"Uh-huh."

My sarcastic tone had him taking a slow breath to control his temper or possibly rethink whatever he might have been about to say. I had known my words would trigger his instincts. In hindsight, it was better if I didn't rile him up. A scuffle would probably re-open my wounds, and I really didn't need another delay. The best plan was to lay low and disappear as soon as I thought I could manage it successfully.

An uncomfortable silence fell between us. His instincts hated being challenged or belittled, and mine didn't like being the underdog. We were doomed to forever grate on each other's nerves and tempers.

I heard someone running up the stairs but waited a bit before turning my head toward the door. Daniel watched me, as if judging just how good my hearing was. With luck, he would underestimate me later on, especially since I'd played down my abilities during Nina's test.

Nicky opened the door and came over to me without sparing a glance at Daniel. "Come on, let's head to the forest before someone realizes I'm not weeding the garden like they told me to."

"Are you trying to use me as an excuse to get out of doing work?"

"Yep. It's a pretty good excuse too. I'd rather drive your irritable hide all over the forest than pick another freaking dandelion."

I glared at her, then shrugged. "Fine by me. I'm not going to argue about a trip to the forest."

I got to my feet and followed Nicky to the door, feeling Daniel's gaze as I left. Nicky had good timing.

~

       I finished telling Nicky about the conversation I'd overheard and the discussion from the kitchen.

"So, what do you make of all that?"

Her eyebrows were furrowed in thought. "It's kind of like what I noticed earlier. Little bits that just don't line up. No wonder people kept asking me about how you were doing and if anything was bothering you. Have they approached you with such questions?"